Chapter 15

'Well this is awkward' I thought as I ate my blueberry pancake.

Poor Mika who sat to my right hasn't said a word yet, and Ferid sat across the long table from me, his crimson eyes never leaving me.

"How is your breakfast, my dear?" He asked smoothly as I sipped on a skinny glass of milk.

"It's delicious," I compliment with false praise, not wanting to run into another bad situation like before.

"Why don't you offer your friend Mikaela a bite, hmm?" He offers, the words dripping off of his tongue.

I catch Mika strike him a sharp glare.

"Oh, of course," I start, gaining the blonde's attention. "Have you eaten Mika?" I ask, offering my untouched omelette plate to him.

     He shakes his head and puts his hands up defensively.

     "I'm fine, thanks."

     I pouted and took the plate back and almost didn't notice the rosy blush on his face as he covered his eyes again and went back into solitude.

     Ferid on the other hand, had a crazy looking smirk playing on his lips. I tried my best not to look at him as I continued eating.

Once I had finished eating, Ferid walked around the table and helped me stand up, courteously pushing my chair in after me and began leading me out of the dining room, while Mika stood to follow us again.

Once we were out of the room, Ferid took my hands and bent down to my level condescendingly to speak to me.

"So puppet, what do you like to do for fun?" He asked with a hint of amusement.

That question took me totally off guard and I wasn't sure how to respond at first.

"Fun?" I asked, hoping I had heard him wrong.

"Yes, fun. What are your hobbies? What excites you? What stimulates you?" He asked, getting closer to my face than I was comfortable with.

I grimaced a bit at that last part.

"Hobbies..." Well I didn't really have many. Most of my days were spent training. I didn't have any pets or close family. My only friend was...

     Shinoa Higari.

     We spent every day together. We trained together, she picked on me, we would battle with cursed weapons, we would sit and talk and laugh for hours into the night.

     She really was a shining light in a dark and cruel world.

     My best friend, the one person I could count on through thick and thin. She was like my platonic soulmate.

     Flashbacks of her small frame being crushed under the hands of a Noble crashed over my body like a tsunami.

Her running to save me and never reaching me. The fear in her eyes. She died while looking at me. Her beautiful Amber-Red eyes fading to a dark and hollow brown color.

She couldn't even scream. Her body was sickeningly crushed right before my eyes.

I stood there, trembling. I had completely forgotten about the Noble in front of me.

I couldn't think at all. My vision was lost and my body felt numb even though my heart was racing.

I couldn't see anything in front of me. Why couldn't I see anything? What's happening? I feel like I'm suffocating. This can't be happening. I can't make it stop. I feel like I'm dying. I can't breathe.