Chapter 2

I pull a long blade out of my duffel bag and sit down in the passenger seat of my team's jeep. Shinoa is in the driver seat sitting on three cushions to see over the steering wheel. I look back at my four comrades to see them all sitting down as well. I smile to myself. My first real mission.

I turn back around in my seat as Shinoa starts the vehicle and starts driving, the gates to the city opening for us.

I sheathe my favorite blade along my belt and take a deep breath, noting that the air outside of the walls is almost thicker than the air inside. It feels dense, uncomfortable.

I quickly shake it off and remember my mission. Find the other team and report back to Guren. No exceptions.

We drive for almost an hour to the city the team was reported missing and this city doesn't look much different from the one before it or the one before that.

Luckily we haven't come across any Horsemen of John so it was a pretty smooth ride here.

I look around taking in the surroundings. The gray ashen sky reminded me of a silver bullet, freshly cleaned. The broken and rotting buildings swooned under their own weight, occasionally cracking and shifting. The dirt beneath our tires rolled into a cloud of dust behind us as we slowed to a stop near the center of the city.

We quickly jumped out of our vehicle, looking around for any signs of life. Not finding anything, we all decide to look around as a group.

After around 10 minutes of looking around and not finding anything, our heavy footsteps in the gravel suddenly became lighter than they were a few seconds ago. I look around seeing that my comrades noticed it too.

Scanning for a few more seconds I noticed something is missing. A person. I was surrounded by four people instead of five. I stopped and quickly named off everyone who was here. Everyone else did the same.

Shinoa, Mitsuba, Yuichiro and Kimizuki were all here... Yoichi was missing.

We all realized it at the same time and took our weapons out, scanning for enemies. We all went back to back in a circle, listening in for noises.

Then we heard it. A shrill scream from behind one of the decaying buildings to our right. We all raised our weapons and ran around to the other side of the building... What I saw stopped me in my tracks and ran my blood cold.

There, lying in the dirt was Yoichi. His cursed weapon was lying no more than 10 feet away from his now lifeless corpse, a blue haired female demon crouched over his body, licking her crimson blood-stained lips. She stood up and smiled at us.

My hand shot up to my mouth as my eyes remained glued to my teammate Yoichi, lifeless in the dirt. I felt so guilty for letting this happen. For not knowing this would happen. We were supposed to look out for our comrades. I was too late. We all were. Guilty thoughts started to cloud my vision. I didn't even realize I was on the ground until my knees started bleeding from the small rocks piercing my skin.

I couldn't help but think horrible thoughts. If I had been paying more attention could I have saved him? Would he still be alive? It was my fault. If only I could've been more alert, if I had been more responsible, I could've saved him. I let him die.

I thought I felt a tug at my uniform but it felt distant, like it wasn't really happening. I felt like I was in a dream. God, I hope this is a dream. Maybe I will wake up in a few hours in my own bed in my little apartment without a care in the world.

But no, life likes to screw you over.

I felt another tug at my uniform, this time it was hard. I let myself snap back into reality and realized I was kneeling on the ground beside my fallen comrade and my friend Shinoa was in front of me shaking me violently and yelling at me to snap out of it. I jumped at the sudden realization and looked up to see my other three comrades trying to fight off the blue haired female vampire.