Chapter 17

A/N: eat,  my children 😈

Just as he said, my lunch had been brought to me. It was delivered by the same girl who had come to get me earlier this morning, and she didn't say a word.

Likewise, I didn't feel like talking at all. I sat on my bed, gazing out the window and my food went untouched. I suddenly had no appetite.

Time passed in a fuzzy haze. I felt like nothing. It didn't feel like I was really in control of my body or thoughts anymore. I was just empty. I wondered about how Mika was feeling, or if he ever felt like this.

     I decided to take a shower before dinner. I had just taken one yesterday but I felt... unclean somehow. I decided to just put the clothes I was wearing back on afterwards and waited for 6 o'clock to roll around.

~Mikaela's P.O.V~

     I sat in my bedroom alone, watching as the sun became visible over the top of the window. It would set in a few hours. Having been confined to this room, I had nothing to do but ponder.

     A knock arose from my door. I didn't say anything, knowing exactly who it was and that he would come in whether I told him to or not.

     My back was facing the door as it opened, and I heard him enter and shut the door. His quiet footsteps approached my bed and sat down on the other side with our backs facing each other.

     I could feel his eyes burning into the side of my head. He knew exactly how uncomfortable he made me, but acknowledging that would only inflate his ego.

     "Such a prize, that girl. Wouldn't you agree, Mikaela?" He hummed whimsically, looking around my near empty room. I said nothing.

     "Tell me Mika. Does she interest you?" He asked, turning his attention back to me.

     "No," I said plainly. He seemed to hum in acknowledgment.

     "Do you loathe her? Does being around her make you miss being human?" He asked, leaning back on his hands to look at me.

     I said nothing.

     "She must be so lonely up there. No family, no home to return to." He locked his eyes on mine but I kept mine fixed somewhere outside. "An outsider, hm?"

     "You two have so much in common. I bet you would know better than anyone how she's feeling, right? She seems to actually care about you, too." He leaned towards me with a menacing glint in his eye. "You know I'm rooting for you, don't you Mika?"

     I broke my trance and met eyes with him, still not saying a word.

     "I really do want what's best for you," he said, holding eye contact like it was an Olympic sport. "But I'm not going to let you take away what's rightfully mine."

     The tension he had just created was thick in the air. One could suffocate on it. We held eye contact for a few long seconds before he pulled away and sat up straight again, his playful smile returning.

     "Well now that that's out of the way, you're invited to have dinner with us at 6 by her request." I looked over at him.

     After all that I really didn't expect him to allow me near her again.

     "Don't be late, alright?" He asked, standing up and making his exit from the room. I looked over my shoulder and watched him leave, closing the door once more.

     I rubbed my aching left shoulder and fixated my gaze back out the window absently.

     ~Reader's P.O.V.~

     It was almost 6 o'clock and time to make my way down to the table.

     Instead of making someone come to fetch me I decided to walk down there myself 10 minutes early.

     I walked into the dining room and he was there. Mika was neatly laying out a fresh tablecloth onto the table.

     "Mika?" I questioned, approaching him. He turned his back to me and continued pressing the cloth flat, smoothing out any wrinkles he saw. Surely he heard me right?

     "Mika, where were you earlier?" I asked, reaching my hand out to tap his shoulder but he moved out of the way just in time and turned to me.

     "Ah, I was just about to come get you. Were you getting impatient?" He asked a while walking over to my chair and pulling it out for me. I couldn't be sure but it looked like he was avoiding looking me in the eye.

     "Huh? Oh no I was just..." I said, absently looking around the room for an explanation.

     "Come have a seat," he said, motioning to the chair. I nodded and made my way over, sitting down and letting him push my chair in.

     "I'll go get Ferid," he mumbled and turned to walk away. I grabbed his sleeve and tugged it back, really not wanting him to go.

     He looked back at me and suddenly I remembered how easy it was to get lost in his big blue eyes.

     "Where were you this morning?" I repeated, trying not to fumble over my words as his eyes finally met mine.

     He paused for a few moments before speaking.

     "I was on patrol in the city," he said. I let go of his sleeve slowly, processing his words. Something about him felt off. He was way more distant right now.

     "I see," I said. I wasn't sure what else to say.

     After things got silent, he slowly turned to leave and I let him. After a couple minutes, both him and Ferid returned.

Spreading his arms out, Ferid announced his presence once again.

"My dear, how punctual you are tonight. Excited about something, hm?" He said with a wink before going to his seat. Mika sat at a chair towards the middle of the table instead of to my side where he normally sits.

We had dinner, or I did at least. Ferid watched me with his chin perched on top of his hands and Mika just kept his gaze fixated on different parts of the table until I finished eating.

     Finally finished, I stood up. I barely gave Mika time to stand up from his seat before I was at his side. I grabbed his sleeve and pulled it close to me while turning towards Ferid.

     "We can go now, right?" I asked, a bit too eagerly. His red eyes darted from Mika's sleeve to me, like he really wanted to say something, but he simply smiled.

     "Yes dear, go have fun."

     I took that as my chance to bolt out of the room, dragging Mika along with me. I wandered far enough that I felt safe to talk to him without being overheard, and let go, facing him. He looked like he was still lost in thought, expressionless.

     "Mika, you said you patrol the city, right?" I asked, gaining his attention. He stared blankly at me before responding hesitantly.

     "Yes, why?"

     "Will you please take me outside into the city?" I asked, leaning in with pleading eyes.

     Of course, Ferid would obviously say no. If I could get Mika to take me, I would actually have an idea of the layout of the city, or maybe even a possible exit.

     I just needed him to say yes.