Chapter 11

My legs felt so heavy, like I had been running as fast as I could.

I force my eyes open and I realize that I am, in fact running. I'm not very fast though.

I'm so low to the ground and I feel like I might stumble and fall at any minute while running through the freshly fallen snow. I'm wearing a pair of new pink snow boots and a matching pair of snow pants. My jacket is white with light pink flowers decorating it and I'm wearing the smallest pair of black mittens I've ever seen.

I look up and see a very very tall and excited looking man, spreading out his arms.

I run to him and he enthusiastically picks me up and throws me into the air, and catches me again with ease, sending my tiny self into a fit of excited giggles.

This man was who I recognized as my father.

I looked around and recognized my childhood home, our labradoodle, Biscuit and my mother, sitting on the front steps, watching us with a kind smile.

I remembered this day. It was late January and I had asked for help making a snowman. Only after I had finished my spelling homework for the day of course.

It was a cool winters day and I was having a great time with my little family.

Then, almost as if it had been scripted to ruin my day, the city-wide alarm began to sound.

I scrunched my nose and covered my ears tightly with my mittens, attempting to drown out the loud voice of the lady speaking.

I turn my head and see my mother, covering her nose that was now spewing blood and then proceeding to fall down the stairs to the ground.

"MAMA!" I screamed in horror.

     My father sets me on my feet and grabs my shoulders, looking me in the eyes with the most intense look I've ever seen from him.

     "(y/n), go run and find a place to hide. Don't come out until we come to get you," my father said sternly.

     I nod, even though I'm frightened.

     "Go! Now!" He says, spinning me around and pushing my shoulders forward, making me run.

     I run past my mother, convulsing in the red stained snow. I push forward, running into the house and up the stairs. I go into their bedroom instead of my own and climb as far as I can inside of their closet before shutting and locking the door. I sat down on the floor and tried to calm my breathing.

      Once I felt like I was still, I decided to cover myself with an old dusty blanket and one of my dad's old parkas.

     I knew that if I stayed like this for long I would probably pass out from heat exhaustion before I suffocated so I forced myself to slow down my breathing so that I could get my heart rate to be quieter.

     My dad told me to stay hidden, so that's exactly what I'll do.

      _____

     When I wake up, I'm unable to see or move.

   It feels extremely cold, like I was laying on a concrete floor. I groan internally.

     Really? Did I seriously just get kidnapped a second time? From my kidnappers? This is ridiculous.

     I figured that my ankles were bound somehow and my wrists were bound behind my back. I didn't seem to be tied to anything, though.

     If I could get my wrists under my feet and up to the front side of my body, I'd be able to remove whatever was covering my eyes and I'd have much more of an advantage.

     So I started wriggling around, trying to find a good angle.(Doing this is a lot harder than you think. Seriously, go try it)

     Whatever they had drugged me with hadn't completely worn off yet though so it felt like every move I made was ricocheted and echoing slowly around me. Shit.

     I must have been making enough noise to attract someone's attention because soon enough, someone, presumably a man with how heavily his footsteps were carrying, burst through the door.

     I waited in anticipation. His footsteps grew closer and I could hear light cracking noises from the mans knees as he squatted down in front of me.

     I felt two giant hands grip either sides of my upper arms and pull me up, completely lifting me up off of the ground.

     The sudden change startled me and I let out an involuntary gasp. I could hear the smirk play on the man's lips as he spoke in a deep, gruesome voice.

     "Good morning little birdy. Why don't you sing a song for me?" He said.

     I visibly grimaced. His breath was rancid as well.

     It only took at few seconds for me to figure out where to swing. Based off of his hand and thumb positions, where his voice came from, and how far I had been lifted off of the ground.

     So I brought my right foot back, aimed a tiny bit to the left and swung so hard, the poor man may never have children for the rest of his life.

     I landed on my feet, and jumped, quickly pulling off the maneuver of bringing my wrists in front of me.

     I tore off my blindfold only to see a big, burly man rolling around on the floor.

     I brought my shackled wrists down to my feet and stepped on them, pulling my wrists tight and breaking the restraints.

     "You can't run from us!" He began to wail.

     I looked over at him, sweating and holding his Crown Jewels.

     "Our boss, he can give you everything! Riches, happiness, luxury, you name it! He has set his sights on you and he won't be swayed!"

     So that's what this is about. I thought.

     Some rich boy who assumes anything he wants already belongs to him.

     I leaned down, pushing my dress to my legs to avoid showing anything.

     "Where is your boss?" I spoke in the most menacing voice I could manage while wearing a peach dress.

     The man chuckled and pointed to the door where he had come from.

     "He's protected. You won't get to him. A human like you doesn't stand a chance against his crew."

     Crew? Human?

     I looked at him. His eyes definitely were not red. They were a dark green. He didn't fight with the strength of a vampire either.

"I'll be fine." I said, looking for a way to break my leg shackles.

Before I could even think about leaving though, in runs none other than Mikaela himself, and someone else after him. They clash swords and Mika pushes him back before slicing across the poor man's abdomen, crimson blood spraying from the wound as the man crumbled to the floor, unable to gasp for air.

Mika hasn't even realized that I'm here yet and I stare at the man, the human, mortified.

Mika sheathes his red sword at his hip and looks down at the man on the floor, the one who had told me about his boss. He was staring up at him with a terrified look.

Just when he had started to take out his sword again, I yelled.

"Mika stop!"