Part 8~Level 1

Clicking out my shoulder, I stretched out my arm. Soon we’ll need to head onto the field but for now, I need to get my body ready for the day of torture about to happen.

"Midoriya?"

Stopping, I leaned back- basically doing a bridge so I could see Todoroki who looked slightly disturbed by my method of looking at him.

Katsuki flicked my forehead causing me to yelp and stand back up. "Don't do that."

"Why not? About half my bones are double-jointed," I asked, almost as to prove a point, twisting my shoulder around. I grinned at Katsuki who winced, laughing at the many grossed out faces I received. Yes, nothing like horrifying everyone around you.

"Midoriya," Todoroki called out again, attempting to ignore the disgusted look on his face.

"Yes?"

"Looking at things objectively, I think I'm stronger than you."

Well, that was rude. I raised my eyebrow, snorting to myself. "If you say so."

"Listen, I don't care if you are at the top of this class, I'm going to beat you." Todoroki turned around, walking towards the exit with a cold shoulder.

"Then beat me. I don't care."

Todoroki faltered in his step, stopping to look at me.

"As far as I'm concerned I'm not here to be at the top of the class. Just like with leaderboards, I never plan for number one because everyone fights for number one and there is a new player there every day. I'm here to learn to be a hero and more importantly, to gain a licence. Then I can save people. That is what we are here to do, right?" I walked past Todoroki, leaving the room with a smirk.

Katsuki- who had heard the speech before- didn't care about what I said but I couldn't help but notice the lights shining in Kaminari's eyes. I think I might have pissed off Todoroki though.

Present Mic was being loud, he was shouting at us to come out, followed by all the other classes. I think half the people here didn't want to be here. Midnight was talking to us. She asked for the year representative to come up and give their speech. This is going to be fun.

Walking up to the stage, I turned to look out at the crowd. They were all looking at me. The class assumed I was doing this because I was the class representative but most realised it was because I got the top place in the hero course entrance exam. "Listen, I don't care about this, just make sure you don't kill someone... Or die. Don't die."

There was silence across the crowd until Katsuki let out a snort. "Way to be motivational," he drawled out, a smirk on his lips.

I sent him a glare, jumping down from the stage as Midnight explained the first task. A simple obstacle course. Or at least it should be simple. Everyone lined up at the tunnel, ready to run forward and start the task. I hung back a bit, watching the people squeeze through the tight space. When I heard screaming, I knew something had changed. No one was capable of moving. That's when I ran.

I jumped up onto the various people, skipping from shoulder to shoulder and maybe someone's head. Landing on the other side, I felt the ice that Todoroki must have laced the ground in. The ground in front of me had different zero pointers populating the space, a large number destroyed.

Flicking around the various robots, I worked out the pattern. Even the best programmed software has a pattern if you are willing to wait long enough to find it. Charging forward, I swung under the robot's arm, sidestepping the person who got in the way. I jumped over the robot who smashed their arm into the ground and landed on top of another arm that flung me into the air. Rolling over, I let out a sigh, I really need to work on my fitness.

Walking forward to save as much energy as I could, I arrived at the next obstacle. "No. Not a chance." Flicking on my power pack, I stretched out my arm. Manta stood in front of me, letting me climb onto their back as they jumped across the gap and landed on each of the stacks. The second we were on the other side, I returned Manta to their game and strolled forward. Eventually arriving at the last obstacle.

Well, this was safe. Mines of all kinds decorated the land. I vaguely registered Present mic announcing Katsuki's win as I walked onto the field. I let off a small growl of annoyance as I tried to find any pattern. Whoever buried these mines had no sense of organisation. Taking a deep breath, that means I will just have to keep pressing on. I hopped passed each mine. I listened carefully to the number of people who got through, speeding up as more went through.

I know there will be another round to this event and that at least 16 people will pass through that round. They will likely half the number of people who passed through this round so as long as I place 32 or higher, I should be safe and able to move on.

I was correct as I wiped the tiredness out of my face. I could feel Katsuki watching me. I have a feeling he is going to tell me off for not using my Quirk in every round but 28th place isn't that bad considering I only used my Quirk in the middle obstacle.

I watched the rest jog past the finish line. They all looked tired. Strange, and I thought I had little fitness. Watching these people made me feel a lot better about myself. At least I didn't look like I was going to die.

Once everyone had finally caught their breath and stopped looking like a hoard of ghouls, Midnight took the stage. A cavalry match... Teams... Other people... Disgusting.