Part 24~Promise

"Hey, Dekiru?"

Humming, I glanced at Denki. He was meant to be studying but I knew he had given up a while ago and had started doodling in the margins of his pages. "What is it?"

"Do you find it weird to think we're going to be heroes one day?" Denki laid over my back, staring up at my ceiling.

"Not really. Isn't that what we're training to do?"

Denki pouted, huffing slightly. "I know that! But one day we'll be out there, protecting all the different people in the city. Do you think we'll still have time for each other?"

Rolling my eyes, I sat up, throwing Denki off my back and onto the bed. "We'll always have time for each other," I announced as I leaned against the headboard. I opened my arms, welcoming Denki into the hug that he gladly took. He nestled his head against my shoulder, sighing contently. I ran my fingers through his hair, smiling as Denki grew comfortable.

"You promise?"

Blinking, I looked at him weirdly. "Promise what?"

Denki perched up, resting against his palms as he stared into my eyes. "Promise that once we graduate and have jobs and are super busy, you'll always make time for me."

Shaking my head, I let out a light chuckle. "Alright, I promise I'll always make time for you."

Denki let out a small cheer as he wrapped his arms around my neck. "Yay!" He looked so cute here, cuddled up in my arms as he smiled up at me. Tightening my grip on him, I buried myself in his shoulder. I'm never letting him go again.

~~~

Groaning, I did not fancy waking up. Somehow, everything hurt more than it did last time.

"Izuku!"

Blinking, I tilted my head to the source of the noise. Denki had jumped up, a relieved expression on his face as he watched me.

"You're awake!" Denki launched forward, tackling me into a hug and causing me to scream. He instantly backed up, a panicked glint in his eyes. "Oh, I'm sorry! I forgot! I'll go get the doctor!" Denki charged out of the room before I could tell him to stay. Everything felt really cold without him here.

It wasn't long before the doctor entered with Denki standing behind her. This was the same one from my last stay here. Mrs Ogata wasn't the worst doctor here, she was kind and didn't force me to do anything I wasn't ready for. She did have a bad habit of going about the blackout though which was a little annoying.

"How are you today, Midoriya? I see our equipment is still working."

I glared at her as she chuckled. She helped me sit up and started to check my vitals. Denki was fidgeting in the background, clearly nervous. Mrs Ogata pulled off my bandages, checking the scar that covered the lower middle of my chest. The thing was horrible. Some kind of burn scar that spread out like an infection.

"Your friends did a good job cauterizing the wound. It might not look pretty but it saved your life." She checked my back which had an almost identical scar just slightly lower than the first one. "Honestly, you're very lucky."

"I don't feel lucky."

Mrs Ogata laughed as she replaced the bandages. "Oh, you are. The scars have almost fully healed. Your back is still experiencing some infection so we'll want to keep you on some antibiotics for a bit longer. I'll get the prescription ready. Make sure you finish the course even after the scar has healed. Apart from that, you should be clear to go. Don't do any intense sport for a week and try to keep off your back." Mrs Ogata gave me a kind smile before nodding to Denki and leaving.

Denki didn't move once Mrs Ogata finished talking. His shoulders stayed tense and his eyes avoided me.

"Oi, what's wrong?" I stumbled to my feet, taking long steps towards Denki.

"Nothing's wrong."

Flicking him, I smirked slightly. "You really expect me to believe that. Come on, what's wrong?"

Denki sighed, staring intensely at the floor. "You got hurt because of me..."

"I got hurt cause a villain shot me."

"The villain wouldn't have shot you if you hadn't been there to save me!"

Rolling my eyes, I flicked Denki again.

"Dude! Stop doing that!" Denki covered his forehead as I chuckled.

"Then stop talking as if this is your fault. It's not." I titled Denki's chin up, staring into his eyes as I stopped a centimetre away from him. He flushed; a cute blush on his cheeks. I gently leaned in, pressing a kiss on his lips as the tension melted away from his shoulders. Pulling back, I rested my head against his shoulder. "Better? Now can I go home? I've missed out on a lot of game time."

Denki let out a surprised laugh. "That's your priority?!"

"What?! I lost out on a lot of game time! Plus I promised dad I would play through his game one more time before the convention."

"Convention?"

"The Gold Time Gaming Convention. It's the biggest gaming convention in Japan. We go every year. Hey!" Popping up, I grinned at the idea in my head.  "You could join us! We could have a day away from all of this."

Denki blushed, lowering his head. "L-Like a date?"

"Yep! I could show you all the best games and get you some free samples. And you can meet the best designers and players. It will be fun." Taking Denki's hand, I squeezed it in hope. It would be so much more fun with Denki there.

"I would love that."

Smiling, I kiss him one more time before rushing out of the room. "I'm going to get out of here before the doctors change their mind. Then I can show you all the information." I ran away before Denki could say anything else.

Denki stayed in the room, something unreadable in his eyes.

"I'm sorry Izu... For everything."