Chapter 32 - The vile guards of Azkaban

_____________________________________________________________________________

Fred and George woke Betelgeuse the next morning, barging in her room without knocking and jumping on the girl's bed.

"Wake up, Bel!" Fred shouted, bouncing up and down on the old mattress. Betelgeuse groaned, shielding her eyes from the light entering through the curtains that George had pulled open. "Morgana, give me strength," she murmured, sitting up against the bedpost, "What are you two doing here? I could have been indecent."

"Waking our lovely, best mate," George simply informed Betelgeuse, sitting opposite from her, cross-legged, "Besides Freddie here could not wait any longer."

"Oi!" Fred shouted, narrowing his eyes.

Betelgeuse frowned; she looked from the shrewd smirk on George's face to the flushed cheeks of Fred, shrugged and stood from the bed. Knowing that the twins would not leave the room any time soon, Betelgeuse went to the bathroom to get dressed. High waisted jeans, a jumper and her leather jacket were her choices of clothing today.

When she was ready, they headed down to breakfast. Arthur was reading the front page of the Daily Prophet with a furrowed brow. Molly was telling Hermione and Ginny about a love potion she had made as a young girl.

Betelgeuse saw Harry and Ron speak in hushed voices until they spotted the three best friends. "Later," She heard Harry mutter to Ron as he met her grey eyes.

Chaos followed in the moments before leaving. They were busy heaving all their trunks down the Leaky Cauldron's narrow staircase and piling them up near the door. Betelgeuse saw Ron and Hermione snapping at each other about the new cat Hermione had got in Diagon Alley.

Mr Weasley, who had been outside waiting for the Ministry cars, stuck his head inside. "They're here, Harry, come on," he said. Betelgeuse noticed Arthur march Harry across the short stretch of pavement toward the first of two old-fashioned dark green cars, each of which was driven by a furtive-looking wizard wearing a suit of emerald velvet.

That is the reason for this special treatment from the Ministry, the safety of Harry Potter.

It was simple for the Black to put all the pieces together. The Ministry of Magic feared an attack on Potter from Sirius Black. Betelgeuse, the twins, and Ginny sat together in the second car.

"Are you ok, Bel?" Fred asked in a whisper beside her. Betelgeuse turned, looking in his almond-coloured eyes. She knew why he was asking that; she waved him off, "All is decent, Fred."

Fred did not look convinced. Betelgeuse sighed, "People will talk, Fred. I am not concerned about what they think of my family and me," she finished taking his hand. The boy only squeezed it in reassurance, not letting hers go till they reached King's Cross.