Clouds are NOT Fluffy and Light

I ran straight towards Artemis. Zoë's face made me want to do whatever it took to help the goddess.

    "Give me it," I told her.

    "What?" She either didn't understand what I was referring to, or she didn't believe my stupidity.

    "Give me the sky," I repeated.

    "You-" She started but I didn't let her finish.

     "With all due respect Lady Artemis," I said. "But I am not under your command. You can't tell me what to do."

     "You will die," she warned me. "You are mortal."

     "Wrong," I said. "I'm half mortal. Half god. I can do it."

      I wished I felt as confident as I sounded. Zoë was studying me with an expression I couldn't quite place. I knew some of it was gratitude.

     Artemis seemed to ponder it, it was hard to read her expression because most of it was agony, but she stayed silent for a while. Finally, she nodded and prepared herself to slip away from underneath the vortex.

     I slashed at her chains with my sword, retracted it back into a bracelet and put my hands on the cold clouds.

     For a moment, both Artemis and I held onto the sky together, and I thought it was a bearable pain. But then I took on the full weight.

    My bones melted into putty, every muscle in my body screamed for me to give up. I was down on one knee, yelling out in pain. Through the tears forming in my eyes, I could see Percy turn back to me. His expression dropped as soon as he saw me. Atlas took this to his advantage and threw him into the air. He hit the ground hard.

     I tried screaming Percy's name but it got caught in my throat. Zoë cupped my face. "Cassie..."

     I managed to choke out a few words. "Help him. Please."

     She looked back at Percy and understood. She leaned her forehead against mine and muttered something under her breath. I couldn't hear, it was hard to focus on anything other than the pain. She let go and ran towards the battle, leaving me alone with Artemis who was regaining her strength.

    The sweat that drenched my forehead dripped into my eyes, burning them. I couldn't see clearly and I could barely hear the clashing of swords. I can do this.

     I shut my eyes tight and focused on the thumping sound of my heart. Strangely, the longer I knelt here, the more I had to laugh. Out of all the things that could've killed me, it had to be the weight of the sky. I couldn't smile though, it hurt too much.

     With every breath I took, my hands shook even more. Suddenly, a familiar face was at my side, anguish filling his green eyes.

    "Cassidy!" He called my name until I fully opened my eyes. He looked kn the verge of tears, as if he felt the pain I was feeling.

    "Percy..." I felt like I had something to say, but that's all I could manage.

     "Give me the weight of the sky," he said. His face made it clear that nothing I said would make him go away. I hated him for that.

     Still, I tried to make him go away. I shook my head because I couldn't speak.

     "Cassidy, give it to me. Now." His voice was no longer sympathetic. He knew I was stubborn. I nodded.

      He braced himself at my side, then I felt myself fall to the ground. My whole body shook. I breathed heavily.

     Wearily, I got to my feet and saw that Artemis had joined the fight. She battled Atlas with such speed and skill I had to stop and stare.