Bleachers, My Old Enemy

"That was close," Grover said. "Thank the gods you got here."

He had lead us to the gym where the dance was being held, music filling the air.

Annabeth, Thalia, and I hugged Grover. He had gotten slightly taller since the last time I saw him and he wore a black t shirt with the school's logo smack in the middle. Underneath the logo, it said GRUNT.

"So, what's the emergency," Percy gave him a high five as Grover composed himself.

"I found two," he told us.

"Two half-bloods?" Thalia asked.

"No, two guinea pigs," I told her, sarcastically. Thalia probably would've pulverized whoever spoke to her like that, but she didn't mind it coming from me. She found my snark personality amusing.

"Oh look here's one," I nudged Percy and he rolled his eyes. Thalia and Annabeth laughed.

"Who are they?" Percy asked.

"A brother and a sister," he said. "They're ten and twelve. I don't know their parentage, but they're strong. We're running out of time, though. I need help."

"Monsters?" I assumed.

"Just one," Grover confirmed. "He suspects. I don't think he's positive yet, but this is the last day of term. I'm sure he won't let them leave campus without finding out. It may be our last chance! Every time I try to get close to them, he's always there, blocking me. I don't know what to do!"

Grover looked desperately at Thalia who was thinking it over for a second.

"Right," she looked at him. "These half-bloods are at the dance?"

Grover nodded.

"Then let's dance," Thalia said. "Who's the monster?"

"Oh," Grover looked behind us then behind himself, making sure no one heard. "You just met him. The vice principal, Dr. Thorn."

-

The gym had been turned into a black and red themed party. Everyone seemed ecstatic at the fact that they could throw off their uniform and have some fun for a night.

Students filled the dance with laughter and mischief. Some guys were covered all over in lipstick, while others just stood to the side, looking like they just wanted this whole thing to be over.

We walked past all of them, towards the backend of the gym.

"There they are." Grover directed his eyes at two kids sitting on the bleachers. "Bianca and Nico di Angelo."

The girl looked to be scolding her little brother, though it was hard to tell. She had a huge green hat on that flopped over her face, preventing me from seeing her facial expressions. The boy seemed way more relaxed than her, shuffling a deck of cards over and over again.

"Do they..." Annabeth started. "I mean, have you told them?"

Grover shook his head. "You know how it is. That could put them in more danger. Once they realize who they are, their scent becomes stronger."

I had been told we smelled before, to monsters and satyrs. It made them easier to find us and masking the scent was nearly impossible. Sally had explained to me how she managed to do that with her ex-husband's horrible stench, before she turned him into stone.

"So let's grab them and get out of here," Percy reasoned.

He stepped forward towards the siblings but Thalia stopped him.

Dr. Thorn had come out of the shadows and was now standing at the base of the bleachers, dangerously close to the di Angelos.

He nodded towards us with a cold expression, making it clear he hadn't been fooled by Thalia's trick of the Mist. Dr. Thorn didn't attack, only stared us down.

"Don't look at the kids," Thalia held up her drink to her mouth, trying to hide the fact she was talking. "We have to wait for a chance to get them. We need to pretend we're not interested in them. Throw him off the scent."

"How?" Percy asked.

"We're four powerful demigods," she said. "Our presence should confuse him. Mingle. Act natural. Do some dancing. But keep an eye on those kids."

"Dancing?" I asked.

Thalia nodded. She listened to the music playing. "Ugh. Who chose the Jesse McCartney?"

"I did," Grover sounded offended.

"Oh my gods, Grover. That is so lame. Can't you play, like, Green Day or something?"

"Green who?"

"Never mind. Let's dance."

"But I can't dance!"

"You can if I'm leading. Come on, goat boy."

Thalia dragged Grover onto the dance floor and began blending in.

"I'm gonna head over there," I told Percy and Annabeth. They nodded.

I inched my way closer to the bleachers, but not close enough to make it obvious I was watching the two kids.

"Hey."

I cursed and turned around, one of the chaperones giving me a dirty look.

"Language, young lady," she scolded.

"Sorry, ma'am," I muttered.

The boy who had startled me stood there smiling.

"Way to piss off Ms. Cardona," he said.

"It was kinda your fault," I countered.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

I glanced at Percy and Annabeth, who were awkwardly standing there and talking.

"You new here?" The guy asked me.

"Something like that," I answered.

"I'm Taylor," he extended his hand.

"Nice to meet you," I shook it.

He talked for a while about how dances weren't usually his thing and how he just came to let loose a bit. I smiled and nodded, not really paying attention.

I glanced back at the bleachers and they were empty. I'd been distracted for too long.

"Listen," I interrupted Taylor's story about some meteor shower. "I gotta go, I got something to do."

I turned around to go warn Percy and Annabeth.

"Wait," Taylor called out. "I didn't catch your name."

I turned around quickly, still making my way towards Percy, just backwards. "I didn't throw it."

I turned back around, picking up my pace.

I put a hand on Percy and Annabeth who had just started dancing.

"They're gone," I said. They immediately let go of each other and looked towards the bleachers. No half-bloods. No Dr. Thorn.

"We have to get Thalia and Grover!" Annabeth panicked. "Oh, where'd they dance off to? Come on!"

She pushed through the crowds of kids, Percy and I following. If we didn't hurry, those kids wouldn't live long enough to even know they were half-bloods.