We Say Goodbye

We landed in direct moonlight, right next to Dr. Chase's Sopwith Camel.

     Annabeth ran to hug her father. "Dad! You flew... you shot... oh my gods! That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!"

    He blushed. "Well, not bad for a middle-aged mortal, I suppose."

   "But the celestial bronze bullets! How did you get those?"

    "Ah, well. You did leave quite a few half-blood weapons in your room in Virginia, the last time you... left."

     Tension in the room. He had been kind enough to not use the phrase "run away."

    "I decided to try melting some down to make bullet casings," he continued. "Just a little experiment."

    His eyes gleamed with pride. It was abundantly clear what had attracted Athena to him. Annabeth seemed like the perfect mix of both of them. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing.

     "Dad..." Annabeth faltered.

     "Guys," Thalia interrupted. Her voice was urgent.

       We jogged to where they were kneeling, beside Zoë. We didn't have any nectar and ambrosia, Artemis tried her best to wrap the injuries at her side but it was no use, the silvery glow that usually surrounded her was fading quickly.

     "Can't you heal her with magic?" Percy asked Artemis. "I mean... you're a goddess."

     Artemis looked on the verge of tears. "Life is a fragile thing, Percy. If the Fates will the string to be cut, there is little I can do. But I can try."

   She set her hand on Zoë's side but Zoë grabbed her wrist, stopping her. Their eyes met, something passed between them.

    "Have I... served thee well?" Zoë whispered.

    "With great honor," Artemis said softly. "The finest of my attendants."

     Zoë smiled. "Rest. At last."

    "I can try to heal the poison, my brave one."

     It wasn't just the poison, it was the hit that her father had given her. The prophecy. She accepted her fate, giving her life to make sure we could get home. I felt my cheeks wet with tears.

    She turned to Thalia, taking her hand.

    "I am sorry we argued," Zoë said. "We could have been sisters."

    "It's my fault," Thalia was crying, too. "You were right about Luke, about heroes, men—everything."

    "Perhaps not all men," Zoë murmured. She smiled weakly at my brother. "Do you still have the sword, Percy?"

   Percy looked at a loss for words, but he took out his ballpoint pen, pressing it into her hand. "You spoke the truth, Percy Jackson. You are nothing like... like Hercules. I am honored that you carry this sword."

    "Zoë—" Percy said.

    "Cas?" Her eyes were closed but when I grasped her hand they fluttered open. "I am glad to have gotten to know thee for who thou truly are."

     I wiped my eyes but she wasn't done.

    "Stars," she whispered. "I can see the stars again, my lady."

     A tear trickled down Artemis's cheek. "Yes, my brave one. They are beautiful tonight."

    "Stars," Zoë repeated. Her eyes fixed on the night sky. And she did not move again.
We all lowered our gaze, trying and failing to fight back tears for our fallen friend.