Familiar Stranger

Percy turned the key and pushed the door open. A familiar scent filled the air but I couldn't quite recognize it.

   Sally ran from the kitchen to hug Percy and I. Tears of joy flooded her eyes as she practically squeezed the life out of me.

    "Merry Christmas Eve!" She hugged both of us again, at the same time.

    I drifted towards the kitchen, my stomach grumbling. Sally frowned.

    "I tried looking up a recipe," she said. "It's not going very well."

    I smiled. The smell was the food from El Salvador, where my mortal family was from. She had all the ingredients but couldn't seem to put them together. The gesture warmed my heart.

    "Let me help," I said.

     Together, we got to work. After hours in the kitchen, we managed to finish and Sally got started on dessert.

   Percy ran to his bedroom and took out a huge box with a bug bow on top.

    "Happy kind of late birthday!" He shoved the box in my arms. I set it down and washed my hands first.

    I began to rip open the wrapping and was met with a big brown box.

   "Oh my gods," I said. "It's a box, just what I've always wanted."

   Percy punched my arm. "Open it, dumbass."

   "Percy," Sally chided his language.

   "Sorry, Mom."

   I took out my sword and sliced the box open. Sally muttered something about us having to use our swords for everything. She was still hung up from that time Percy had cut his pancakes with his sword because there were no clean knives.

    Inside the box, there was a skateboard. The top of it was plain black but when I lifted the bottom there was a gorgeous design of ocean waves crashing onto each other. In graffiti style font, the letters CJ were imprinted in the center.

    "The J is for Jackson," Percy explained. "I know it's not technically your last name but-"

   "I love it," I said. I hugged him really tight and thanked him. Sally snapped a picture.

   "Now you just have to learn how to ride it properly," he joked.

   "I'll have you know I am a professional skateboarder," I gloated.

    "Your teacher says you suck."

    "My teacher sucks."

    "Hey!"

     The doorbell rang and we looked up at Sally.

     "That must be Paul," she said. "Why don't you two go put your things away."

     We ran to our room and stuffed all of our things in the closet, deciding to unpack later.

    "Five bucks says he'll call you 'buddy'," I challenged Percy.

    "I counter your bet with 'big guy'."

     We laughed and shook on it but our laughter soon died down when we heard arguing coming from the entrance. We ran back to the front door.

     Sally had the door barely open and blocked the visitor from our field of view. Percy made a reach for his pen but I stopped him. The women's voice sounded distressed not threatening.

    Suddenly, the woman shoved Sally aside and stepped into our home.

   "Hey," I shouted at her. "Who the hell do you think you are?"

   The lady had a small build. Her black hair fell over her shoulders in waves. Her deep blue eyes stared directly at me, she seemed speechless. Her hands hugged herself tightly, she was nervous about something. I did that when I was nervous.

    "Mom," Percy stood next to her protectively. "Who is this?"

    "Cassidy," the woman said.

    I stared at Sally, then at the stranger in front of me.

    "I didn't expect you to recognize me," she sighed. She outstretched her hand but I backed away.

    "Cassidy," she said. She kept repeating my name and it didn't sound right coming out of her mouth.

   "It's your mom."