•Chapter Eight• Deep Thoughts

Tristan

I broke up with Destiny on Andie's sixteenth birthday because I got tired of her putting unreasonable demands on me. She knew Andie's birthday was coming up and that I planned on celebrating it the same way we always did. A week before Andie's birthday, Destiny insisted that I should take her out instead.

I tried to reason with her, told her we could go out the day before or the day after. But Destiny was adamant that we needed to go out on that day. She said if I refused, that meant that she wasn't as important as Andie was to me and there was no reason for us to continue to see each other. What could I say to that? I told her it was nice knowing her, then I said goodbye.

While I cared about Destiny and she was important to me, what I felt for Andie was different. Angie was much more important to me than Destiny. We had been together a lot longer and had helped each other through some pretty tough times. Andie was a special and incredibly irreplaceable person in my life, I had no intentions of ever hurting her. She meant the world to me and I would do anything to see her smile.

Things between Andie and I seemed to return to normal after that. It made me wonder if my relationship with Destiny was somehow to blame for the strain between us. Was It possible that Destiny had been a bitch to Andie behind my back and Andie chose to keep quiet for my sake? I hoped not but I wouldn't doubt it. I know Andie has trust issues, and even though she trusts me, I think she would rather suffer than see me sad.

Whatever the case, I was glad we were back to being close again and decided not to bring any more girlfriends around Andie until I was ready to settle down for good. I didn't want anyone to come between her and me again. The strain between us had been so painful for me and I didn't want to hurt like that again. But more importantly, I don't want to see Andie hurt because of me.

As the years went by, I dated a couple of girls but they were not serious relationships and I did not bring them around Andie. For some odd reason, I found myself comparing them to Andie and they always came up lacking in one way or another. They weren't as sweet, or as cheerful. Their smile wasn't as captivating or their eyes didn't light up the way hers did when she was happy. There was always something that made me break it off.

I also made a major discovery that left me shocked to my core and made me wonder if I had a crush on her. All the girls I'd dated had brown, or dark brown hair and blue eyes, just like Andie. Not a single one had blonde, black or red hair. That made me wonder why. Was it that blue-eyed brunettes were my type, or was there more to it as one friend had suggested. I honestly couldn't understand why and it drove me nuts.

"Earth to Tris!" Andie snapped her fingers in front of my face, causing me to snap back to reality with a start.

"What?" I asked confused as I watched her eyes turn to slits and irritation flash across her gorgeous face.

"You didn't hear a word I said, did you?" She asked with annoyance in her voice and a roll of her eyes.

"No, sorry." I apologized. "Could you please repeat what you said?" I asked her softly.

Andie sighed with a shake of her head. "I said, my counselor, wants to meet my mom Monday, " She informed me and I nodded.

"Ok, I'll call June and make sure she's available." I rose to my feet and went up to my room to find my phone. June was a lady that I paid to be Andie's "mom" for times like these.