Chapter 33 - Professor Remus J. Lupin

_____________________________________________________________________________

She was one of the rare ones.

_____________________________________________________________________________

The Great Hall was a sea of pointed black hats. Each of the long House tables was filled with students. Their faces were gleaming by the light of thousands of candles floating over the tables in mid-air. Harry and Hermione entered, heading towards the Gryffindor table. People looked around at them as they passed along the back of the hall, and a few of them pointed at Harry. The news of his collapsing in front of a Dementor had travelled fast.

Even after the Sorting, the entire School was still on edge. Betelgeuse was more unapproachable and silent than usual.

"Are you alright?" Fred whispered to Betelgeuse. Concern was written across his beautiful, freckled face.

Betelgeuse could only nod. She looked around the table at her friends. Lee appeared a lot more quiet than usual; Alicia tapped her hand on the table multiple times, setting a rapid tempo. While Angelina stayed in complete silence.

"You look upset and pale. Well, more than usual," Fred continued.

"You flatter me, Fred," Betelgeuse replied in an arrogant tone.

"I'm serious, Bel," Fred insisted, narrowing his eyes as he saw Betelgeuse begin to smirk.

"No, Fred. That is my uncle," She replied snottily. Fred sighed. "Seriously," Betelgeuse resumed, barely containing her smug smirk, "I am all right." She turned her attention to the Headmaster, who took centre stage.

Professor Dumbledore, though ancient, always gave an impression of great strength. He had several feet of long silver hair and beard, half-moon spectacles, and a crooked nose. He was often described as the greatest wizard of the age, but that was not why students respected him. But Betelgeuse did not trust blindly, and Albus Dumbledore was not an exception.

"Welcome!" Dumbledore beamed, the candlelight shining on his beard. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious. I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast."

Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued, "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore proceeded, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission."

Betelgeuse exchanged a glance with the twins. This could not be good.

"Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises — or even Invisibility Cloaks," he added blandly, "It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I, therefore, warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you."

"I look to the Prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the Dementors," he said.

Percy was seated a few seats down from the twins, puffed out his chest again and stared around impressively. Fred rolled his eyes, muttering something to George under his breath. Betelgeuse could have sworn she heard 'HB the overinflated turkey'.