Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Colors

"Everything is grey. His hair, his smoke, his dreams."

Melanie Beaumont

"Hey, you're Melanie right?" I hear and I look up from my textbooks to find a girl standing in front of me, a soft smile on her lips.

"Oh, hi there, yeah, I am, what can I do for you?" I ask as I move my things aside so she could also put her stuff down as she sat across from me.

"I'm Rose, I think you're in my anatomy and physiology class, you're in the  pre-chiropractic track right?" she asks and I nod. "Yeah, me too." She starts pulling her own books out.

"It's nice to meet you Rose." I smile and she nods back.

She was a pretty girl. Probably just as pretty as the girls I lived with. Long curly flowing black hair with dark eyes that contrasted against her pale skin. I wasn't quite sure if her hair was her natural color or if it was a box dye. She was tall and lean with a dimple peeking on one side of her cheek and a cute button nose. Pretty.

"So, how can I help you Rose?" I ask and she laughs. She did sort of approach me out of nowhere.

"I was going to introduce myself a couple of days ago but you seemed in a bad mood. When you were at the enrollment building?" and I almost wince at the memory. "It just seemed like a bad time so I thought that I would wait it out. It was a coincidence that I saw you there and that we ended up having a class together,"

"Yeah, sorry about that, not one of my brightest moments," I tell her truthfully. It really wasn't one of my brightest moments.

"It's not a problem, we all have them. But I just noticed that it didn't seem like you had a lot of friends so I wanted to introduce myself."

"Wow, that's so nice of you, well, it's really nice to meet you," I say again.

"Do you mind if I study with you? Sorry I didn't ask, I sort of just sat down and started taking my things out," I could see her cheeks turning pink and I laugh before nodding.

"It's totally fine, I could use some company anyways."

We studied for a couple of hours before I found myself in a bar with her that was on campus. Not actually on campus but just really really close to campus.

I had actually learned a couple of things about her. She was pretty out going for the most part and actually really really sweet which I loved. Not to mention an almost straight A's for every single class.

"Oh, that's my boyfriend!" she says as she waves over a guy who smiles at the sight of her. I watch as he comes over, pressing a soft kiss on her cheek before he slides in the seat next to her.

"Babe, this is Melanie, she's in my anatomy and physiology class, super sweet and Melanie, this is my boyfriend, Willis," she introduces us and I smile, shaking his hand.

"It's nice to meet you," he says and I nod back in agreement.

"We were just about to order but Melanie was just telling me how she could make a mean apple pie, you love apple pie babe!"

"You bake?" he asks. "I have been trying to get into baking for as long as I can remember but it never works out. Can you make macarons?"

With a soft chuckle, I nod. "Yes I do bake. It's just a small hobby I suppose and I can make macarons too. It took me forever to figure it out so don't feel discouraged. I also cook," I tell him as I think back on the days when I used to cook with my mom.

I couldn't cook for crap at the time and half of the time ended up burning things but I held onto those memories tightly. After she got into her car accident, I forced myself to cook. There was no way in hell that I would let her cooking die off. I learned how to cook all of her favorite recipes before making them my own.

"Wow, that's nice, I've been trying to get Rose into cooking since we got together but she won't ever budge. I'm in culinary school, it's on the other side of campus," he says. I didn't realize that there was a culinary school here either. I guess I should be more aware.

"Maybe you should be doing the cooking for us instead if you're in culinary school," I joke and the two laugh just as the waiter comes to take out order.

"It's on me tonight, get whatever you want," Willis says.

"Are you sure? I can pay for myself-"

"It's on me Melanie," he says and I smile, making sure to thank him again after I place my order.

The night goes by quickly and I didn't even realize that it had gotten so late. For the first time since I got here, I actually had a little bit of fun. Rose was a nice girl even though she turned a little bit crazy when her boyfriend came around but I didn't mind. Willis was a nice guy too, funny, they balanced each other out in a way. Where Rose was a little bit more on the serious side, Willis was a lot looser and joked around a lot.

"Do you need a ride back?" she asks and I nod. I had left my car and came to the bar so I did need her to take me back to my car.

"So how did you and Willis meet?" I ask as I get into her car.

"We met through a mutual friend. They put us together and we sort of just really hit it off. But if you ask me, it was just a complete coincidence that we were at the same event and saw a friend that we both knew."

"Wow, that sounds really nice, I wish it was really that easy."

"Oh it's not that easy. We argue and sometimes we take breaks but we always find our way back to each other which I'm thankful for. I wouldn't trade him from anyone else." That was sweet. Like super sweet, I think my heart just melted a little bit inside.

"Anyways, we're planning on hosting a little get together if you're interested. It'll be small, probably like 10 people or so. Just my roommate and a couple of friends along with Willis's friends, you're free to join us if you'd like.

"Oh really? When?" I was surprised that she was inviting me to a party when she barely knew me but I think her intentions were pure.

"It's this weekend. It'll be fun. This way you can know more people too. I can send you that address? You don't have to bring anything if you can't... but I think eating an apple pie would be great," she jokes and I chuckle, nodding my head.

"Okay sure, that sounds great, I can give you my number and you can text me the address?"

When we get to my car, we quickly trade numbers before calling it a night. It was getting rather late after all and I never really even stayed out this late myself.

I was glad that I managed to make a friend though. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all.

Here's chapter 3 lovelies! I hope you enjoyed it, comment what you think!

XOXO,

M.I Hers