Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Stitches

"Your words cut deeper than a knife. Now I need someone to breathe me back to life."

Melanie Beaumont 

I could hear beeping. My alarm! I couldn't sleep in, I would be late for class.

It wasn't the idea that woke me though, it was the pain that I felt coursing through my body. It was agonizing.

I couldn't breathe. It's like something was stuck in my throat. I started gagging as I started pulling at the tube before someone else pulled it out. I was coughing, and wheezing.

I looked around at my surroundings and groaned. This was not my room and the annoying beeping was coming from my heart monitor that made sure I was still alive.

Hospital.

My head was absolutely pounding and when I reached up to touch my head, I was met with a thick layer of bandages that was wrapped around it, preventing me from touching my head.

"Hey..." I hear and I look to see that Grayson was sitting on a chair beside mine. He gently rubbed his face before he leaned forward, resting his elbow on my bed while his palm went under his chin.

"Hey..." My voice came out scratchy. "What happened?" Everything was groggy.

"There was an accident. A guy ran a red light and hit you." Guilt laced his voice. I got hit by a car because of him too? Isn't that just great.

"I, uh, what am I doing here?"

"You were hit pretty hard, had some brain swelling, luckily, nothing's broken. Just a concussion. I'll call the doctor." He says, pressing a button to call the nurse, informing her that I was awake.

"Are you okay?" I ask softly. He looked like he was having a rough day... maybe a rough week if anything.

He doesn't answer me, he just looks away, refusing to meet my eyes.

"Grayson." Why did I even bother? He wasn't going to talk to me. He was rejecting me so hard right now, as if I did something wrong to him.

"Miss. Beaumont! I'm glad to see that you're awake." I hear as the doctor walks in chriply. "I'm Dr. Kale, I'm the one seeing your case." He says and I nod, taking a deep breath.

He does a quick inspection and makes sures that I'm okay, checking the bandages before he stops.

"Are you in any pain?" he asks.

"Yeah, a lot." I grit out.

"Okay, Nurse, let's get her some morphine for the pain-"

"No! I don't need morphine." It would only cost more in the end. I could toughen it out. I had to toughen it out.

"It'll help with the pain-"

"No." I say.

"Are you sure?" The nurse continues to push.

"If she says no damn fucking morphine, it's no morphine." Grayson glares at the nurse who hesitantly looks at the doctor.

"If the patient says no, we can't force it on her." Dr. Kale says before writing something into my chart. "We'd like to keep you overnight for observation, just to make sure that everything really is okay." He continued and my stomach dropped.

"I'm okay- I think it's best if I head home tonight-"

"Miss. Beaumont, you need to stay here tonight, you could have a stroke and we wouldn't know, you need to stay the night." He says with finality and I sag back into the bed.