Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Monsters 

" I see your monsters. I see your pain. Tell me your problems, I'll chase them away. I'll be your light house. I'll make it okay. When I see your monsters, I'll stand there so brave and chase them all away." 

Melanie Beaumont 

I had stayed up as late as I could, waiting up for Grayson. The last of the guest left a little after 11 and it wasn't too long after that the hours started ticking by. 

I ended up crashing on the couch after I showered the day off. It was the banging on my door that woke me up. 

I let out a soft groan and felt around for my phone, clicking the power button to check the time. 2:03 am. Who would even come by this late? 

I rubbed my eyes tiredly as I slipped my black knitted cardigan on, walking to the door while flicking some of the lights on. 

I made sure to look out before I opened the door. 

"Gray? What are you doing here so-" I didn't get to finish my sentence when his arms circled around me, pressing me tightly against him. 

He was shaking and I could feel something wet. It wasn't until I heard a cry escape his lips that I got worried. "Gray? What happened? Are you okay? Are you hurt?" I tried to pull myself away from him so I could take a look at him but he wouldn't budge. 

He just shook in my arms, crying. Growing up, he was never afraid to express his emotions around me and I was more thankful but in this moment, I was afraid. I didn't know why he was so upset. "Gray please, you're scaring me now. Talk to me here." I kept my voice soft as I wrapped my own arms around him, comforting him as best as I could. 

"I'm sorry." He choked out and I finally managed to put some space between us. 

His face was tear stained, his eyes red and puffy as his hair stuck out in odd places. It wasn't until I saw his bloody knuckles that my concern turned to fear. 

"Gray, you're bleeding! What happened? Are you okay?" My hands took his in mine as I inspected the cuts on his knuckles. I push him onto the sofa before running to the bathroom, grabbing the first aid kit that I had left in there. 

He wasn't talking. He was almost mute. He was just watching me, ignoring my questions and I grew agitated. 

"Grayson, what happened? Are you hurt? I need you to talk to me Gray- tell me where it hurts." My voice comes out low as I cup his cheeks forcing him to look me in the eyes. "Tell me what happened Gray. Please. I can't see you like this." I whisper. 

He looked absolutely lost. I haven't seen him like this in years and I was fearful for what this could me. For what happened. I had so many questions on my mind and he wasn't answering any of them. 

"Mel." His voice is thick, laced with pain and I shake my head, running my hand through his hair. 

"Please Gray, you need to talk to me. Let me help you. I'm here Gray." I plead. He couldn't keep me in the dark like this. Not when something was so clearly bothering him that it lead him to tears. 

My heart clenched in my chest as he forced himself to look away from me, tears slipping from his eyes again. 

"I'm sorry." He chokes out. 

"For what?" I had to stop myself from crying. Seeing him in this state brought me pain. I wasn't prepared for it. I was still healing from Beth and seeing him like this was unbearable.