Sam - Five

Imagine: you are Sam's girlfriend. You now have ninety seconds to convince him that saving the world is more important than saving you.

Your (E/C) eyes flutter open as you come too. Your head throbs painfully as you remember what happened. You and Sam were driving back to the Bunker to celebrate your birthday. On the way, a truck slammed into your car, knocking you and Sam out cold. Now here you are, tied to a chair in some high-rise apartment with a blade resting on your neck; what a birthday!

"It's about time you two woke up! I was beginning to worry." The demon laughs.
"(Y/N), are you ok?" Sam questions.
"Yep, just peachy." You mutter, minding the knife at your neck.
"What do you want?" Sam growls at the demon
"Sammy Winchester, you have a choice. Everyone knows that you would sacrifice yourself for the ones you love, but would you sacrifice thousands of strangers for one life?" The demon grins. "So, what will you save? Your home city, Lawrence? Or your little girlfriend, (Y/N)? Chose quickly, Sammy, I'll give you ninety seconds."

Immediately you turn to Sam, who looks thoroughly pained. Deep down, he knows what he has to do, and you are willing to be sacrificed to save all those people.
"Or what?" Sam asks.
The demon smiles slyly. "Or I kill your girlfriend and destroy the city. I do hope your brother hasn't gone to your local bar." She sighs, removing the blade from your neck. "Tick tock."

"Sam." You smile, your (E/C) eyes filling with tears. "You know what you have to do, and I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain this to you."
He shakes his head.
"I can't, (Y/N/N). I can't watch you die."
"If you save the city, then you might never see me again, but if you don't save the city, then I can guarantee that you will never see or speak to me again." Your voice is stern. "If you let ninety thousand people die, including Dean, for my sake, you are NOT the person I fell in love with, and certainly not someone I want to be around."
You see the shock in Sam's eyes as you are stern with him. Those eyes, how you love them. They seem to hold the world. Usually, when he looks at you, they are full of love, but at the moment, they are filled with tears and desperation.
"You know you're my favourite, right?" He whispers, tears slipping down his cheeks.
"I better be." You choke on your words. "Sam, my love, you know what you have to do."
"I know." He breathes.
"And I'm ok with it."
"I love you."
"This isn't goodbye." You smile brightly. "We will see each other again."

"Time is up, Sammy, what's your decision?" The demon chirps. "What are you saving?"
He stares at you. It's like he's memorising every detail of you.
"The city." He whispers as more tears cascade down his face.
"Okay then, let's get this party started."

You hear the demon move closer to you, and that's when you feel the knife stabbing into your body as a burning pain fills your body. Sam watches helplessly, and you try to keep smiling, not wanting to let Sam know how much pain you are in.

The pain that once burned like fire has faded away to an icy numbness. Black fills the edges of your vision, and the only thing you can hear is your own heartbeat. Your breath comes in ragged, shallow gasps. Seconds pass as you sit there, then you hear a voice. Sam runs over to you, trying to help you. He wants to save you. If you could have, you would have laughed. Surely he can tell that it is far too late for you to be saved, yet he is like a child, naïve to the darkness of the real world. The despair and suffering of the world that took everyone you love away from you. You would be joining them soon, though. You would be able to leave all the pain behind. You close your eyes. Your fragile, human heart beating one last time.

One week later
Sam's POV...

Dean and I walk through the city in a trance. It has been a long week since I watched (Y/N) die. As soon as the demon stabbed her, it disappeared, but I plan on hunting her down. I pause in the middle of the street, glancing around at the crowds.
"Sam?" Dean asks softly.
"I'm ok."
All these people are alive right now – because of her.