Chapter Eleven

Addilyn's eyes fluttered open. Her head lay on a chest that moved up and down in a steady rhythm while an arm had a tight grip on her waist. A cold chill ran through Addilyn's spine when everything that happened the night before rushed back to her. 

With no hesitation, Addilyn wiggled herself out of Mattheo's grasp. She clamored over to her now clean robe and took off with a groggy boy racing after her.

"Addie!" The Slytherin yelled in a hoarse voice.

Addilyn turned around once to see a concerned and somewhat panicked look on the boy's face, but Addilyn face was emotionless. With one quick tug of the door handle, she was off and easily lost the boy who was trying to catch up.

~~✶♡✶~~

"Oh, look! It's a rare elephant fish!" Cora exclaimed as she pointed to the odd-looking fish in the portrait that surrounded the stairwell. "The scientific name is callorhinchus milii, but elephant fish sounds cooler. Ooo! And that's a whale shark. Over there is a swordfish-"

"Cora, I love you." Anna cut the babbling girl off. "But it's been a long day and if there isn't a hot merman or mermaid in this portrait, I don't care about these noodle fish things." 

The little Slytherin rolled her eyes before pushing a brown lock behind her ear. 

"Cora!" A small little voice came from behind the trio. All three stopped in the middle of the steps to look behind to see a Slytherin girl running toward them. 

"Oh, hi Amelia! Look, it's a rare elephant fish!" Cora linked arms with Amelia Carrow once she caught up to them.

Amelia's face lit up as she looked where her best friend pointed to. "You mean the callorhinchus milii?" The two brainiacs walked a couple of paces in front of Addilyn and Anna talking all about the fish.

The Ravenclaw shook her head back with a laugh before quickly changing the subject in a hushed voice. "I heard that Mattheo Riddle is joining the Charms Study Sessions too. Are you ok with that, Lynie?"

Addilyn's whole body tensed at the mention of his name. "Why wouldn't I be ok with that?" The thought of her extutor showing up to a study group she'd been attending for a while now made her inner builders scramble to build the wall higher.

"It's been two months, Lyn. Two whole months since you've seen him." Anna placed her arm around her partner in crime's shoulder. 

Addilyn looked down at her reddened hands. Ever since she made the deal with Umbridge, she had at least seven hours a week of detention. Whenever someone asked what was wrong with her hand, she said she had a nasty run-in with the Venomous Tentacula in the greenhouse. "And?"

"Merlin, Addilyn. You've been going out of your way to avoid that hot snack. Ever since that night you've been acting weird. Like goodie twos shoes Hermione getting into a bunch of fights and going all impulsive weird. Which, side note, why does your brother hang out with Granger? I would've never put the two as friends."

"I have no idea," Addilyn muttered before putting on a fake smile and trying to walk through the door before being pulled back by Anna.

"Are you sure you're ok? We can go ditch this popsicle stand and eat our hearts out if you'd rather." Anna had that glint in her eye where she was serious but trying to lighten the mood to not make it overwhelming.

"Yeah, I'm ok." 

Addilyn walked into the room with a fake smile. Trying so hard not to make eye contact with anyone, she looked around the room to see who was there. A large group of Slytherins, Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws, and Gryffindors. All years and all houses. There were more Slytherins than any other house, but more first and second years in Gryffindor than any other house. The group was split into small groups and little cliches. Addilyn let out a less fake smile when she saw Cora and Amelia in a group of other kids.