18

"Okay guys," Mom clapped her hands together as she walked into the living room in her scrubs

Elliott paused their game while I dropped the book I was reading in my lap, using my thumb to hold my place.

Jackson continued to stare at the tv screen, thumbs resting on the buttons of his controller, like he was waiting for it to unpause on its own.

Even though Mom's scrubs were a little more green than blue, I couldn't help but remember what Jackson said on the roof.

There was always blue everywhere — blue scrubs, blue chairs, blue paintings. Just blue, blue, blue. I hate it.

"I'm leaving for work, but there's a list of dishes on the counter I can make for Thanksgiving that I want y'all to go through. Not everyone is coming this year, so I won't be making as much. Just initial next to the dishes you want."

My heart fell to my stomach.

I forgot one of our cousins was moving, so our aunt and uncle were helping him — along his two sisters.

And even though Mom wasn't making as much food, less people meant less distractions — which meant I'd have to eat more if I didn't want to blow my cover.

"Oh, and Jackson?" Mom said, forcing him to look at her while he sat his controller on the coffee table. "If there's anyone you'd like to invite, feel free."

Jackson pressed his lips into a tight line, looking down before he leaned back into the couch, smiling up at Mom.

"My familia's already here," he said convincingly, then glanced behind Elliott's head between us.

I don't know if he looked away so quickly so no one else would notice, or because he didn't want me to notice what his eyes were really saying.

But the short second they met mine was enough for me to see it. Pain.

My brows twitched downward briefly as I looked at the side of his face, before I forced myself to turn back to Mom. Her eyes were shining as she gave him a soft smile.

"Well," she breathed out, bundling her hair at the nape of her neck with the ponytail holder from her wrist. "The offer still stands. I'm heading out, love you guys."

"Love you," Elliott and I replied simultaneously before she walked out.

"Since when did you become all...mushy?" Elliott asked teasingly when the front door shut, narrowing his eyes at Jackson.

"Shut the fuck up," Jackson shoved him, making Elliott dig his elbow into my arm to catch himself.

I cursed and roughly pushed him off of me, rubbing my upper arm — he jabbed just the right spot that had my whole arm throbbing.