35

"I knew you were lying — you corrupted her!"

"I didn't do shit," Jackson snapped back, rubbing his arm where Elliott punched him. "You're the one that invited her to the Halloween party."

"I didn't invite her," Elliott said in a tone that could easily be mistaken as disgust as he gestured to me, still stuck like a deer in headlights. "I invited Kallie. I just...momentarily forgot they're attached at the hip."

Ouch. Just because I'm high doesn't mean I'm deaf.

I was extra aware of everything right now, actually.

Jody restlessly bouncing his leg, making his chair creak every couple seconds. Jesse occasionally clearing her throat next to me, making me wonder if hers felt as dry and scratchy as mine. Noah loudly munching on chips below us.

Everything else was tolerable, but his obnoxious chewing was overwhelming, making my eye twitch with each crunch.

It was deafening in my ears, and the pain in my stomach increased the more I focused on it.

I thought smoking would help ease the pain, and it did for a little while, but it was only intensifying now.

I don't even know my own body anymore.

I held my breath, clenching my muscles in hopes to stop what I knew was coming, but of course, my body refused to cooperate.

It felt like someone was reaching through my abdomen and wringing my stomach in their hands as it let out a thundering rumble, making me wince.

I don't even have control of my own body anymore.

Jesse turned to me with her eyebrows raised as I pressed a hand to my stomach, silently telling it to shut the fuck up.

I don't even know if I'm winning or losing anymore.

The pain faded into a tolerable twinge once it silenced, so I forced out a chuckle as Jesse quietly giggled next to me.

How you're feeling just means this is working.

Winning. I'm winning.

I wasn't sure if I even knew what that meant at this point, but it made me feel a little better.

"So you're the one I have to thank for that," Sam piped up, pulling me out of my head to see him giving Elliott a lazy smirk. "Great night."

Well, according to Kallie it was just okay.

"Hey, is that mine?" He continued as he pointed to one of the soda bottles in Jackson's hands, while Elliott stared at him, mouth agape.

Jackson shrugged and tossed it to him.