30

"I'm sorry

"I'm sorry."

My eyes shot open wide as I sat up in my bed.

Kallie was standing at the door with a sullen look on her face, hugging her purse to her chest.

I let out a small sob of relief as she made her way over. "I'm sorry. I should've told you."

"You should have," she nodded curtly as she sat next to me. "But I shouldn't have reacted the way I did."

"So you don't hate me?" I asked in a whisper.

"A little," she lifted a shoulder before giving me a small smile. "I love you more, though."

I choked out a small laugh and rested my head on her shoulder, making her curls tickle my forehead. She lifted her other arm to wrap it around my neck, squeezing until I could barely breathe.

I didn't care though. She could strangle me to death and I'd die happy. I had my best friend back.

Everyone is going to leave eventually.

I cleared my throat as the chilling voice from this morning invaded my thoughts again, sitting up straighter when she pulled away.

"I have something for you," she said as she reached in her purse.

"Meal replacement powder?" I furrowed my brow, picking up one of the packets she tossed in my lap.

"Yep," she chirped. "You just mix it in water or milk — or if you're my mom, milk and ice cream. Technically it's for people trying to lose weight, but I figured it could help us move in the right direction."

My chest tightened when I flipped the packet over and saw the calories.

"Chad has an endless supply of these bad boys, so there's many more where that came from," she nodded at the pile in my lap.

"Okay," I said quietly, despite my irregular heartbeat. "I'll try it."

"Good, I wasn't really giving you a choice anyway," she smirked at me.

I forced out a nervous laugh as she scooted over to stretch her legs out.

"So, how was Thanksgiving?" Kallie asked, and I snorted.

"It was an unforgettable one, for sure."

"I missed it, didn't I?" She slumped her shoulders, and I nodded with a grimace.

"Dammit," she growled, smacking her leg dramatically.

"You missed a lot, actually," I said, laughing lightly at the disappointment on her face.

"Oh my gods, what else?" She asked, sitting up straighter.

"Well, I think more food was thrown than eaten," I pursed my lips, trying not to laugh as Jackson's pudding covered face flashed in my mind.