another forgettable birthday

"Happy birthday, Jules

"Happy birthday, Jules." Charlie pushed the box across the table.

"Dad, I told you that you didn't have to get me anything." She sighed, an appreciative smile on her face.

"Yeah well, too late." He nodded at it. "Go on, open it." She reached forward, pulling the box open. A small gasp left her mouth as she pulled out her present. It was the leather-bound collection of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books. She'd seen it while in Seattle months ago, and mentioned it maybe once to Charlie. "How'd you remember?"

"Come on Jules, I'm not that old." He chuckled. "Besides, I wrote it down." She snorted. Bella's footsteps came quick down the stairs.

"Hey Bells, come over here a minute." Charlie called before Bella could make it to the door. Juliet focused in on her books, taking them out and examining them. By the time she'd put them all away again, Bella was already gone-new camera Charlie'd gotten her sitting in its box on the counter.

————

"Happy birthday loser." Quil plopped down in the seat next to Juliet. "You're an adult now, isn't that so cool."

"No Quil." She said, not taking her eyes off her book.

"Come on, I didn't even ask." He huffed.

"And I said no." She snorted. "Bum cigs off your mom, I'm not buying you some just because I'm 18."

"Come on man." Embry sat across from Quil. "You already promised you would."

"If I buy you a pack will you stop asking?" She sighed.

"Each?" Embry raised his eyebrows.

"You payin'? I'm not spending twenty bucks on you two bozos so either you share a pack or give me another ten bucks." Jake joined the group now, sitting across from Juliet.

"What are we talking about?" He leaned on the table.

"Jules is gonna get us some cigs so I don't have to steal more from my mom." Quil smiled.

"Only if you pay me." She reminded. "First packs free, rest you gotta cough it up."

"That's not fair." Embry frowned.

"But it's fair that I spend my money, which I make by working every weekend, on cigs for you three?" She snorted. "Get real."

"Ugh, fine." Embry started searching around his backpack for his wallet, so she looked to Jake.

"I'm good." He waved his hand. "Better I just take em off you guys. My dad'll kill me if he found any on me."

"They're not hard to hide, bud." She snorted, refocusing on her book. "And my dad's the chief of police. You could hide it from Billy easy."

"Anyway." Jake reached into his bag, pulling out a small box and sliding it across the table. "Happy birthday, from both me and my dad. Not the twins though, I worked too hard on that to let them take credit for it." She snorted, setting her book face down and opening it. "It's made out of some rocks and shells and a few pieces of beach glass I put in resin so they wouldn't be able to cut you on accident." Juliet held up the small, black cord bracelet. It was adored with exactly what Jake said, cool rocks, shells, and beach glass cast in small cubes of resin.

"Dude this is so cool." She smiled. "Thanks man."

"Course. Just remember to tell Billy that I gave it to you." He said as she was putting it on. "He thinks I'll forget."

"I'll be sure to." She nodded. "And just a reminder, we're going to First to celebrate on Friday. Tonight I'm hanging with Leah." All three boys groaned. "Yeah, yeah, shut up."

—————

"Don't say it." Juliet held up a finger as Leah opened the door. "I've heard it too many times today, don't say it."

"You've got it, birthday girl." Leah snickered. "Come on in." Juliet rolled her eyes, slipping past Leah.

"How was work?" Juliet quickly slipped her shoes off before following Leah upstairs.

"It was work." Leah shrugged, pushing the bedroom door open. Juliet stopped in the doorway, her eyes landing on a brand new easel that sat next to Leah's window. She plopped down on her bed, watching Juliet's reaction. "So?"

"Leah..." There was a hint of disapproval in her voice, Juliet had specifically asked for nothing this year and she'd meant it, but the smile on her face gave it away. "I told you..."

"I know, I know." Leah brushed it off. "But I saw it when I was in Port Angeles so I got it for you. It wasn't planned, but I knew you'd love it." Juliet walked over, carefully inspecting it. Sure, Leah had gotten it at an antiques store, not an art store, but it seemed more Juliet's style anyway. The lady at the store said it was made from pure pine wood, and it showed. Despite its age, it did look really nice. "You do love it, right?"

"Of course I do." Juliet shot a playful glare over her shoulder, the smile still there. "Thank you."

"Of course." Leah was proud of herself as Juliet sat down next to her. "You gonna paint me something nice?"

"I always paint you nice things." Juliet lightly shoved her shoulder against Leah's and they both laughed. Juliet eyes lingered on Leah's face longer than they usually did, she'd been getting more and more reckless recently. She couldn't tell if it was her general annoyance whenever she was at home, but she'd been wanting to just do whatever. Of course, with Charlie being the police chief and Leah being in love with Sam, whatever was easier said than done.

"Girls!" Sue called upstairs. "Dinners almost ready, are you eating with us?"

"Yeah mom!" Leah shouted back, but made no move to get up. "Man, I can't wait until I get my own place." She sighed. "I love my parents, but this lack of privacy has really overstayed its welcome." Juliet chuckled, standing up and holding out her hand.

"Think of the good." She said, and Leah rolled her eyes while taking her hand. "At least you don't have to cook for yourself yet, you might not survive."