the black pack

Juliet shot awake shortly after sunrise, hearing a loud howl pierce through the quiet morning

Juliet shot awake shortly after sunrise, hearing a loud howl pierce through the quiet morning. Juliet hurried out into the hallway, seeing all of the Cullen's on high alert in the living room, where Bella was still asleep on the couch. Edward walked stiffly over the window, staring out for a few seconds before turning back around.

"Leah left Sam's pack too. Jacob is talking to her now." Juliet lurched forward, leaning against the railing. For a split second, Edward's eyes flashed up to her before refocusing on Bella as he moved back to her. Alice was up the stairs and leading Juliet back into her room a second later, shutting the door.

"You should go talk to her." Alice said lightly, coaxing Juliet towards her closet. "Come on, let's get you dressed." Just like Rosalie was doing for Bella, Alice had decided to care for Juliet. Something to occupy her mind, to keep her from getting headaches, and someone needed to make sure Juliet was fine. Jasper came around a few times in the night, when nightmares woke Juliet up, but usually she was alone with Alice. Much like she had a month previous at the wedding, Juliet stood still and let Alice figure it all out. After a few minutes, Alice led Juliet out of the house.

"She's that way." Alice pointed. "Oh, she just phased. Go." Alice pushed her lightly. Juliet looked back at Alice apprehensively before moving into the woods. After about twenty feet, she found Leah, just coming out from behind a tree.

"Jules." Leah frowned, seeing the broken look on Juliet's face. Juliet rushed forward, slamming against Leah's chest as she wrapped her arms around her. "I'm so sorry."

———————

"And that's working?" Juliet asked. "Really?"

"The fetus is...at least partially like us, I suppose." Carlisle nodded. "Drinking blood satiates it. Bella's even been able to keep food down. I hope to take out her iv tomorrow." Juliet still couldn't make heads or tails of her own thoughts. "I know it's not the most pleasant thing, but it is helping her. It's keeping her alive." Juliet finally nodded.

"As long as it's helping her." She looked up at Carlisle. "I can't sit here and watch her waste away."

"It is." Carlisle assured. "I wouldn't do anything that wouldn't help her." Juliet already knew that.

"Thanks, Carlisle." He nodded and was soon gone. Juliet slumped back into her chair, the sounds of the river occupying her mind. She stared down at the cell phone Alice had forced into her hand, wanting her to call Charlie, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. No matter how much she wanted to talk to her dad, she didn't trust herself not to say anything. In this moment, all she wanted was for Charlie to know the truth, and she couldn't tell him. She dropped the phone onto the table and sighed.

She didn't know how long she'd stayed outside, but around dusk it started to rain so she trudged back into the house. Seth was in the kitchen with Edward when she walked in, and Edward was cooking.

"Hey Jules!" Seth smiled brightly. "I was wondering when I'd see you, but Alice said you needed your alone time." She'd have to thank Alice for that later.

"Hey." She slid onto the stool next to him. "What are you making, Edward?"

"Something my mother used to make." He said lightly. "Esme thinks Bella would like it better if I made it."

"And it smells incredible." Seth sighed happily, leaning against the counter. "Jake's passed out by the door, he didn't sleep for a few days."

"Really?" Juliet raised her eyebrows.

"It is Jake, you know?" Seth shrugged. "I'm not surprised. When he ran off and wolfed out over the summer, he wouldn't sleep for days either. Oh, and Leah's off running patrols tonight. I'm switching out with her again soon though. She hasn't slept for a while either."

"Is she coming inside?" Juliet already knew the answer, and the frown on Seth's face confirmed it. "Of course not..."

"I can ask!" He perked up. "Do you want me to? It'll take two seconds."

"No, it's fine Seth." Juliet waved her hand as she stood up. "Don't worry about it. I'll uh...I'll see you in the morning."

"Are you not eating?" Seth's voice was laced with concern.

"I'm not hungry." She shook her head lightly. "Save me some, though. It does smell really good." Edward chuckled lightly.

"I can always make more." He said as she left the room. Alice was already waiting in her bedroom when Juliet entered, staring out the window with her hands pressed to her temples.

"Bed already?" Alice questioned. "It's only six."

"I'm tired." Was the only answer Juliet decided to give.

———————

Juliet woke up to the sound of yelling. Sunlight poured through the trees in a way that made Juliet think it was midday, but her mind was too distracted by the noise to think about it. It was Leah's voice, yelling. Still half asleep, Juliet stumbled out into the hallway and looked over the railing just in time to see Leah storming out of the Cullen's house, the door slamming behind her, and then, she heard crying. Her head whipped the right, and she saw Rosalie holding Bella as she cried. Edward looked furious, and one more look around told Juliet that the others were gone, likely hunting.

"Edward, what happened?" Juliet hurried down the stairs and Edward turned to her, like he hadn't realized she'd woken up.

"Leah." He crossed his arms over his chest.

"Your dog decided that Bella was torturing you and the other mutt by asking him to stay." Rosalie hissed. "So she thought it was right to come in here and-" Rosalie's voice was getting louder as she kept getting worked up.

"Rose." Edward said, harshly cutting her off. "Juliet, I think it would be best if you went to speak to Leah. I understand she may be concerned about yours and Jacob's feelings but it gives her no right to shout at Bella." The frostiness in Edward's voice surprised her, but she nodded.

"Yeah, okay." Juliet glanced back at Rosalie, who was now looking down at Bella and whispering something to her. With a final glance at Edward, Juliet turned around and walked outside. Leah was still standing outside in her human form, though far away from the house. "Leah." Leah looked up at at Juliet as she shut the door and walked down a few steps.

"Hey." Leah breathed. "Man, it felt good to get that off my chest."

"Did you have to, though?" Leah was surprised at how hostile Juliet sounded. "I-I mean, she's...she's dying, Leah. Why would you say that to her?"

"What?" Leah took a few steps closer. "I was just saying what we're all thinking."

"No, you were saying what you were thinking!" Juliet argued, anger flaring up. "I love you, Leah, but you don't get to speak for me."

"She's hurting you by asking you to stay." Juliet scoffed. "She's torturing Jacob!"

"She's not...she's not hurting me." Juliet breathed. "Do you really think this would be any easier if I was back on the rez? Listening to Sam plan how he was going to murder my family?" Her voice raised frantically, but she didn't care. "Are you serious? I'm not leaving her side."

"Jules, it's not healthy for you-"

"But it's healthy for me to stay away, right?" Juliet couldn't help but roll her eyes. "God Leah, I'm my own person! I can make my own choices! And I choose to be here, with my sister, until her final breath. You're free to leave." Juliet spun around, storming back into the house. She didn't look at the others as she ran upstairs and into Alice's bedroom.