what happened in volterra

Bella had still been asleep by the time Juliet had to leave for work, so she resolved herself to coming by afterwards

Bella had still been asleep by the time Juliet had to leave for work, so she resolved herself to coming by afterwards. It was getting dark when she pulled up to the house again, Charlie's cruiser back in it's spot.

"Two times in one day?" Charlie joked as she walked inside, he'd been leaving the kitchen. She shrugged as she slipped off her shoes. "She's in the kitchen with Alice." Charlie continued into the living room. Juliet took a small breath before walking in. Bella was cleaning dishes in the sink, and Alice was perched at the table.

"Hi Juliet." Alice smiled brightly, making Bella look up. "Did you have a good time last night?"

"Oh, yeah it was great." Juliet nodded. "I uh...I wanted to say thanks, actually, for letting me crash it."

"Don't be silly." Alice chuckled, standing up. "You're welcome anytime. Besides, it was Bella's party, afterall." With that, Alice left the room.

"Why are you really here?" Bella left the water running, likely because of Charlie, as she turned around and leaned against the sink.

"I wanted to talk to you." She held her hands up in surrender. "No fighting, I promise. I just wanna talk."

"About what?" The ice in Bella's voice remained.

"Look, I..." Juliet sighed. "I still don't like what's going to happen. I don't like that you're...becoming one of them. But I know I can't stop you." Bella raised her eyebrows. "But you know I can't stop the pack either. Which is a shame, because your bloodsuckers really aren't that bad. In fact, Emmett's pretty funny."

"You like them?" Bella's eyes were wide now.

"Like is a strong word, considering they're gonna kill you." Bella rolled her eyes. "But yeah, kinda."

"So you support me, then?" Bella turned off the water and moved towards the table, so Juliet followed.

"I can't." Juliet sighed, sitting across from her. "I can't, Bella. But I hope you understand why." Bella sighed too.

"I do." She nodded. "Rosalie wants me to stay human, too. And Edward...well...he wants me to marry him."

"Yeah, he told me." Juliet nodded, and Bella looked surprised. "I told you, we were talking about yesterday. He said that you want him to turn you, and he won't do it unless you marry him. And I don't get why you won't agree. I mean, you're already committed to an eternity with him-whats a marriage on top of that?"

"Ugh, you sound just like Edward." She scowled. "He's so old fashioned about this. I know that when he was human, getting married at 18 wasn't a big deal, but are you kidding me? People would think I was pregnant, it would just be too much. I don't get why he can't understand that. I'll marry him eventually, I just don't want to now."

"When was he human, anyway?" Juliet wondered.

"Carlisle turned him when he was 17, in 1918." Juliet's eyes went wide.