graduation

"I'm so sorry, Juliet

"I'm so sorry, Juliet." Sam's voice was quiet as he sat down next to her. Leah still hadn't returned from work, but Sam and Paul had come back from their patrols-nothing on Victoria. "I'm so fucking sorry."

"Me too." Her voice was hollow, it barely even sounded like her. "This is gonna kill my parents."

"I'm sorry." He repeated. There was nothing else to say. Everyone felt the exact same as Sam did. Extremely sorry. No one had said it yet, but they all knew-Juliet most of all. Any one of the Cullen's turning Bella would be breaking the treaty. Sam would have no choice but to act. The pack would have to attack, to protect the tribe.

"Don't apologize, I understand." She still didn't look at him, or move at all. "Bella made her choice. She knows...she knows what the treaty says." It was a few minutes before Sam spoke again.

"Leah should almost be here." He said. "Do you want me to tell her?"

"No, that's okay." She finally moved. Her hand detached it's self from the other, moving over and resting on Sam's arm. "Thank you Sam." Her hand fell after a few seconds, retracting back to her body. Sam watched her, unsure of what do to or say. He'd noticed, especially since Juliet had moved to La Push, that she was very isolated. Even when she was at the table with the whole pack, laughing and yelling over one another, she was always to herself. It was always Leah who reached out first, Juliet never moved outside of her own bubble unless someone else initiated it. So it felt strange, her touching his arm-almost as if it was some kind of grand gesture. Sam eventually stood up, and walked back inside. Emily was at his side right away. It was only seconds later that Leah walked through the door.

"Leah." Sam spoke. Her face immediately twisted in annoyance.

"What?" She spat.

"Juliet needs to talk to you." Leah's face softened, and she realize how gentle Sam was speaking. It was then that she took in the atmosphere of the house. Everyone was dour, and the house was practically silent. "She's out back." Leah wasted no time crossing the room and going through the open door. As she crossed the deck, she heard the door slid shut.

"Jules, what's going on?" Leah took the spot where Sam had been.

"Bella's gonna be a vampire in three weeks and there's nothing I can do to stop it." Juliet's voice was emotionless, her face unchanging from its neutral position. Leah stiffened. "I called her. She knows that I know everything. She knows that we're together, and that you imprinted on me. And I know that she's going to be a vampire in less than a month."

———————

It took two full weeks for Juliet to show any sign of life again. She stopped reading, stop painting, and if it wasn't for Leah and Seth, she probably would've stopped eating and drinking, too. Leah picked up all of Juliet's shifts at work, and Seth had volunteered to stay with Juliet while Leah was gone, something Leah very much appreciated. It wasn't until Charlie called that Juliet seemed to come out of her daze.