fifteen hours

"Be careful

"Be careful." Juliet mumbled into Leah's shoulder. It was time. The pack was headed to the final training session with Cullen's, and then they would set up in the woods to wait for the newborns to arrive. Juliet wouldn't see Leah, or any of them, until it was all over, and who knows when that would be. As much as Juliet didn't like it, she knew the pack had training, and were quite literally built to hunt vampires. "Please."

"I will be." Leah replied. One of her hands was rubbing circles on Juliet's back, with her other hand resting on the back of Juliet's head. "Just stay here, okay? We'll be home soon."

"I love you." Juliet raised her head. "So much."

"I love you too, Jules." Leah smiled lightly before leaning in and connecting their lips. When they pulled away, Leah rested her forehead against Juliet's. "I'll be home before you know it."

"I doubt that." Juliet mumbled, and Leah chuckled lightly.

"Leah, it's time." Seth stuck his head outside. Leah looked back at him and nodded, so he retreated back into the house.

"I love you." Leah's hand left Juliet's hair, her fingers moving softly over Juliet's cheek.

"I love you, too." With a final kiss, and another whispered 'I love you' Leah got up and headed inside, going to meet up with Sam and the boys in the front. After a few minutes, Emily came out onto the porch and sat down next to Juliet.

"It's gonna be okay, Jules." Emily said, holding her hand out. Juliet took it, letting out a breath as she nodded.

"I know, I know."

———————

Emily was in the kitchen, scrubbing it down for the third time in dawn, Kim was at the table, working on her school work, Claire had finally went down for her nap in Sam and Emily's room, and Juliet was sitting outside in the grass. The house was impossibly tense, and Juliet felt like she could barely breathe so she'd relocated outside. It'd been nearly 15 hours since the pack had left, and each second felt like another hour. Collin and Brady had stopped by in the morning, and the battle still hadn't started then. Now they were off patrolling somewhere on the reservation, and they had no way of contacting them. Juliet's eyes scanned over the page, though her brain was barely absorbing any of the words.

'Life isn't fair, it's just fairer than death, that's all.'

Those were all that stuck in her brain. She marked her page and shut the book, letting it drop into the grass next to her with a sigh. It didn't stop the words from repeating in her head. She ran a hand over her face, and was thinking about laying down and cloud watching when a loud howl made her jump. Abandoning her copy of The Princess Bride in the grass, Juliet shot to her feet and hurried inside. Kim was watching the front door intently, and Juliet could see Emily talking to Brady. She dropped her book on the table, sharing a look with Kim as Emily nodded and Brady ran back off towards the woods.