25: I HAVE HOPE

"Why didn't you bring bourbon instead?"

He rolls his eyes as he grabs the bottle from my hand. "Try something new, Lessie," Kai says.

I open the back door and pull out both of our duffel bags. "But white wine? Really?" I mock him. I shut the door and put the duffle bags down as I proceed to open the passenger's door. I take out my book and shut it.

"I was in a hurry," he defends himself.

I stuff the book in my duffel bag. I grab both of the bags and walk over to him. Kai's taking out the grocery bags. Apparently, his errand was shopping. "Not good enough of an excuse," I tell him.

He sticks his tongue out as a response and picks up two bags. He places them down on the ground and shuts the trunk. He picks them up and we walk back to the house.

"Why'd you shop this much?" I question him.

He looks over at me and smirks. "We missed my favorite holiday of the year," Kai says.

I frown in confusion and turn to him. "That did not answer my question but okay. Um..are you going to tell me or do I have to guess because I really don't - "

"Thanksgiving," Kai says and climbs up the steps of the porch quickly. He turns around and smiles. "We missed it and to make up for it, I'm cooking you dinner."

------

I flip another page and sigh. I've been reading for at least two hours. When Kai said he'd cook me dinner, he wanted to work alone. I wanted to help but he kicked me out.

He guided me to a room to stay for the time being instead. I think it's Jo's. It has pictures of her in the room. There is one with Kai and her smiling brightly. They're in Christmas sweaters. They both look adorable. When he caught me staring at it, he froze for a moment but quickly turned the frame down and left.

I flipped it back and jumped onto the bed. I'd like to see something good inside of this house. It helps keep my mind off the fact that kids were murdered here. So does reading. I've been doing that ever since to pass time.

My duffel bag is on the floor beside my bed. I'm sitting on top of the bed with a book open in front of me. I close the book and sigh. I roll over on my back and close my eyes.

It was unlike Kai to kick me out in the first place. He always wanted to talk and almost never stopped. But it made sense why he would want to stay alone for a while. Our fight had ended but some of the tension is still here. He probably needed space.

I open my eyes and get up. Well, I'm awfully bored. I make my way out of the room and down the staircase. I'm careful not to look around too much. My eyes are focused on the ground as I step around the blood. It still looks fresh.

I walk down the hallway and towards the kitchen. Kai's stirring something near the stove with his back turned away from me. Loud 90s music is blaring from the radio.