45: AN EPIPHANY OF TIME

(Kai's pov)

(Kai's pov)

As a child, I was convinced that there was no way in hell I could ever get even an ounce of happiness in my life. Growing up, that thought embedded itself so deep in my mind that it was the only thing I stood by. The only thing, I would never admit, I wanted to feel, just for once.

A few months ago, I quite literally hated the concept of intimacy. It's always been intricate to wrap my head around it after my childhood. There have been times where I thought, maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't be so bad.

Maybe it's what I needed. Maybe it would finally save me from being someone who's been hoisted around the Coven as an improper child unfit for the role of a Coven leader. Maybe if others saw me, really saw me, they'd understand that I'm more than a siphoner.

That sort of thinking was soon distinguished when Joshua proudly started declaring the achievements of Jo and clearly implying the ascension of the other pair of twins.

I wasn't a part of any of the Coven meetings later, but Jo always told me how it went down. Insults, rude remarks. All signaled in my direction. Behind my back. They'll all regret it the day I become the Gemini Leader.

They wouldn't see me. They already forgot about me. Forgot about what was mine from the start. That's when the fire lit up within me. I wanted what was mine and I would get it. No matter what.

They'll all regret it the day I become the Gemini Leader.

It was probably better that I was all alone, segregated in a confined isolation set up by Joshua way before trapping me in the prison world. Alone, I could do what I wanted. Alone, I was better. I almost convinced myself.

The prison world does that. It forces you to come to terms with harsh realities you've been avoiding in the real world. That neglection has literally led to the life I lived. Isolated and confined to an eternal misery under a celestial event that reminded me of my failure to overthrow my father.

I didn't need intimacy but that was until Lessie came into my life, I understood that I craved it. Only from her. I craved her attention, her touch, her lips. Everything about her and only her.

Alessia Marie Granger, the woman who quite literally wouldn't have even let me lay a hand on her a few months prior to now, sleeps beside me, discarded of her clothes, comfortably.

I watch her with a thoughtful expression. She's facing away from me. My bare chest is pressed against her back but I've propped myself up on a bicep to gaze down at her. Her eyes are shut. Her chest, covered by the sheets, rises up and down. Her dark hair covers a little of her naked back from me. Her hand has a firm grip on mine. She holds it close as if afraid I'll let go.

She looks utterly peaceful as of this moment. Her eyebrows aren't pulled together in distress or she isn't going through her daily dose of worrying about everything and everyone. No. She looks calm and more relaxed than I've seen her in a long time.