42: IT'S REAL

(Alessia's pov)

(Alessia's pov)

My mother used to tell me that there would always be a Light waiting for me. She called it the Light because she believed in it throughout her life. That once we die, we either approach the darkness or find ourselves looking for the Light shining somewhere.

I have been walking. I don't know how long it's been but it feels like wherever I am, it's timeless. I can't see much. It's awfully dark. All I know is that I see a Light shining across from me that seems miles away from where I am.

I remember bleeding out in Kai's arms. His grip on me, gentle but firm. His scream of my name, loud and painful. I remember him. He stands out clearly out of all my memories and something tells me to hold onto that. To hold onto him. Like he's my anchor.

There is a man standing at the end of the Light. His face hasn't changed just a bit, and neither has his smile. He raises his hand, his smile brightening as he waves at me. "Alessia," he calls, softly. Even from such a distance, his voice is clear as a whisper in my ear. His voice. It's his voice.

I halt, appalled. I stumble a little in shock, my eyes widening. I want to take him in, to cherish the time I have because I can feel it; deep inside my heart, I know this is never going to happen again. This isn't even supposed to be happening in the first place.

At another time, I would have cried at the sight of this. At the sight of my father waiting for me at the end of the Light. Something prevents me from doing so; a profound feeling of mistrust that overwhelms me out of nowhere. Something isn't right but I can't help but feel the need to reach for him. "Dad?" I call out in disbelief.

He meets my eyes. His lips quirk up a little, softening his features. "I've been waiting for you, Alessia," he tells me in a quiet, gentle voice.

My features twist into a frown as I try to understand what's happening. "What are you doing here?" I ask him, loudly.

He glances around, lifting his hands. "Here? We don't have to be here," he tells me. I stare at him, puzzled until the darkness sinks below us. Everything whirls around me, making me stumble as grass appears under my feet. My father stands with his hands clasped behind him and a wistful smile. "We could be anywhere, Alessia, since you're so close to the Passing."

The clouded sky looms above us. Peeking through a tear of clouds is the crescent moon, shining down at us with its ominous glow. There are trees everywhere but in front of us, I can see a house. My old house. The lights are on. The flowers still blossom. It's as if nothing has changed at all in the last ten years.

His words echo in my head. "Close to the Passing?" I repeat, alarmed. He turns his head towards me, his lips in a tight line. I stumble back a few steps, taken aback. I blink at him, puzzled. "But....I didn't. I didn't die - " But I did. I died in Kai's arms, didn't I? It would make sense. That's why I am only steps away from the Light that will take me to complete my Passing. That's when my eyes burn. "I'm dead?"