i. astrophile tendencies

chapter one.
ASTROPHILE TENDENCIES
𖤐⁺˚࿐.∗ ̥

ARIELLE ATHENA LOVEGOOD WAS AN INSOMNIAC. It was common knowledge to her and her housemates. Every single day since her first year she crawled out of her dorm and watched the stars, and dragged herself back to sleep at twilight. It was unhealthy, but that was one of the very reasons that coffee was invented. Everyone knew that without coffee, Elle would be an absolute wreck. She carried her favorite drink around in a thermos, refilling whenever she wanted to regain energy.

This night was like no other. The sixth-year tossed and turned in her bed, and tried to calm herself down by combing her golden locks into braids. As expected, the technique did not work.

Elle was under the stars again.

The moon was a warm milky glow in the sky, and the mere sight of it set Elle free: she wanted to soar above the moon, and even if she did not manage that, she would fall amongst the stars. Elle heard footsteps behind her, and there were two possible outcomes: a prefect during night patrol, or a fellow insomniac.

  Turns out, it was both.

"Again?" Cho asked empathetically, joining Elle at the edge of the astronomy tower. They had often met during her patrols, and even when she had a rough night. Cho and Elle used to watch the stars together every day for a year after Cedric's death. Elle would even go as far as consider Cho one of her best friends. "Are you even surprised, honestly?" Elle let out, staring intently at the moon. Cho said nothing, only putting a comforting arm on her shoulder. "Is Lu asleep?" Elle asked, referring to her fraternal twin, Luna Lovegood.

Elle adored her sister – she was the only one who understood Luna's dreamy riddles, the only one who could translate them to the audience. So, Luna was never regarded as Loony, but rather intelligent: respected. Luna was forever grateful to Elle for that, she truly was her other half.

"I checked right before patrols, the woman's snoring louder than hippogriffs." Cho chuckled lightly. "Luna needs her rest, I'm glad she's sleeping." Elle was born 7 minutes before Luna, so she took her older sister duties quite seriously: she was Luna's guardian angel. If anyone hurt Luna, Elle hurt them.

"So I uhm... I met someone.." Cho started, her cheeks tinted pink.

Elle perked up in curiosity, "Who is it?"

"His name is Daniel Cooper and he's a muggle.." Cho mused dreamily. "I wish you two the best life." Elle hugged her close friend tightly.

"I'm so happy for you." Elle smiled widely at Cho, engulfing her once more. She could not believe it — her best friend had finally found someone, after all the relentless search.

"Will it be safe for you to date a muggle, Cho?" Elle's voice dripped with concern. Cho's face dropped, "No... especially not with the war. You know who—"

"Voldemort," Elle said firmly.

"Voldemort," Cho corrected herself, "has been trying to recruit my family for ages.. but dad refused. He wants us to stay light this time."

"That's good of him. We wouldn't want one of my best friends to be a death eater, wouldn't we?" Elle chuckled humourlessly, staring at the sky above.

"Elle?"

"Hmm?"

"I would run away if my dad joined you know wh- Voldemort. I would not allow him to destroy my life."

Elle's eyes crinkled softly, "That sounds like something you would do. You're a good person Cho, no matter what the trio and Marietta say."

Cho said nothing, only smiling at her best friend. Their voices faded into a comfortable silence, but Elle soon found herself getting restless.