Chapter 6

I stood beside Heimdall, enjoying the view of the stars. He leaned a little to the right to nudge me with the side of his arm. I looked up at him.

"Your family and friends are well." He said quietly. "I have looked on them just this morning."

Smiling bleakly at the thought of them, I thanked him. It was strange leaving them. It was as if when I was gone, really gone, I expected time to stop. Life would pause until I returned. No one would be older. Nothing changed. As much as I knew this to be false, my life on earth had paused for now and a part of me felt that earth should pause with it.

"Tell me about them?" I looked at Heimdall.

He blinked slowly, focusing. "Your mother is arriving home. She is living with a man now."

"Hamilton?"

"The same man I last saw her with when I looked on you." I grinned. So Hamilton was serious about her. Good. I felt a shiver of pride for how far she had come. "Your sister is preparing to meet your doctor friend."

"Banner?!" I laughed.

"Robin is not happy with it. The two women with them are drinking. And dancing." He smiled in an almost fond way and I wondered if he had ever looked down at me and smiled the same way.

I nodded. "Typical of them." I could practically see it now. Robbie was probably muttering about how Banner was dangerous and Liv was saying that Steve trusted him. Robbie practically worshiped Steve so that would shut him up. Sammy and Aly were probably just happy someone in the house had a date. They always complained about how none of them had a life.

I had a thought all of a sudden. Following Heimdall's downward gaze, I pretended I could look into Earth and see them all. "There's a little girl. She lives near my old house. Her name is Lily. Can you... Can you find her for me?"

Heimdall nodded. "The child Loki was fond of. Yes."

"Is she okay? Is she happy?" Lily was my little angel and being so long without her left a hole in my chest that I hadn't realized hurt me until now. "Is time different for them?" How much had she grown and changed, I wondered.

"Time is similar. We may run a few days faster but our days are also longer. She is well. And happy."

I wanted to press him for details but he had worlds to watch and more pressing thoughts than my abandoned life. Satisfied for now, I thanked him. I was turning to leave when another thought struck me. I rocked on my heels.

"Heimdall?" His head tilted towards me. "There's a girl I've heard of. A Vanir."

"A child with dreams of what you and Loki will bring for Asgard. I have seen her." He nodded.

"Could she... Can she really tell me about the baby?" I bit my lip, unsure if I wanted to go through with this. I hadn't even spoken to Loki yet, or even Frigga.

He shook his head. "Vanir foresight is not definite. It is a probability. A possible path but the future is not set in stone and what they see may never come to pass. She can tell you only what she has seen."

It was enough. I had to know something, something about these rumors of hope. I started to leave.

"Ebony." Heimdall stopped me. "Be careful."

I nodded. "I may not like what I find, I know."

Hogun was a Vanir and might know the girl. He might be able to take me to her. But he didn't like me and I was a little frightened of him. He left the room anytime I entered and glared daggers when he couldn't escape. Thor suggested I leave him alone for the most part. So asking him was out of the question.