Chapter 34

Kenna refused to follow Loki's suggestions on making friends. She could not bring herself to enjoy anything until she was sure she had rectified her mistake. The next morning, Loki accepted defeat and brought her to the infirmary. Nurses were huddled around Sigyn, all of them listening to Eir's discussion on her condition. Among them stood Valda, no longer a lady's' maid but a graduating apprentice of the great healer.

They moved on to another patient as Loki and Kenna approached. As requested, a servant was sent to fetch Odin. When the king arrived, Kenna was already sitting beside Sigyn on the bed. Her hands hovered inches from the goddess's temples. Her eyes were closed tightly and her brows furrowed. Her eyes could be seen flitting beneath their lids, searching for the damage done and solutions to it.

"What can you restore?" Odin asked.

"She's very badly damaged." Kenna said calmly. "She may not remember the last few years. She may never be the same but she can always start over, can she not? Is that alright?" She turned to Loki.

He sighed. "If that's the best we can do. If you can restore her most recent memories, then do."

"I'll try."

"If not..." Odin frowned, tilting his head at his granddaughter. "Can you not search the memories themselves? Are they accessible to you?"

"Yes but not to her."

"No." Loki held a hand out. "I don't want her looking through that."

"We need to know." Odin objected.

"I will not have her anywhere near him!" Loki snapped. He turned his cold glare to Odin. "Even this is enough to garner his attention. I want her no where near memories of him."

"It's fine." Kenna murmured, looking between them. "How bad could it be?"

Sighing, Loki stepped closer to her. "He is the reason I am not always... There." He gestured to his head. "It's no place for a child."

"I can handle it."

"No. It is too dangerous. If you cannot restore them, then let it be."

"Let her die, in that case." Odin sneered. "She's of no use to us."

"Let it be, Odin."

Kenna shifted. "I can take it away." They looked at her. "Her anger. I-I can take it. So she won't be dangerous anymore. She won't be that different. But she's... Upset." She searched for the word. "Wounded? It's bad anger. And there's someone else in her head. They're a lot angrier. I can get them out."

"There's someone else?" Loki felt a pang of distress. Sigyn may have been unconscious but he didn't know how much Thanos could see and hear.

"They're feeding the bad anger." Kenna's voice grew soft as she refocused her thoughts on Sigyn's mind. "She's not so bad under it."

"No..." Loki thought back to before his fall from grace. "She was never quite so violent. Petty sometimes, resentful. But never like this. The other person-"

"I'm in." Kenna interrupted. She closed her eyes and the energy within her gathered into her hands. She pushed it through Sigyn, restoring and strengthening broken pieces. Kenna had been taught to imagine the mind as a long corridor. Every door led to a room filled with knowledge or memories. There were stairs that led down into the cellar. There, people held their deepest fears and secrets and all the subconscious actions they didn't know went through their mind - breathing, for instance. She ventured down and repaired doors, resetting locks and sweeping floors of the debris left by her intrusion. Many of the rooms she had to clear completely and those memories would be forever lost to Sigyn.