Chapter Thirty-Four: Endless Circles

DATE
DEC  15TH, 2038
TIME
PM 7:30:04

Red and blue flashing lights illuminate the dark street, yellow holographic tape blocking off the crime scene. Groups of civilians surround the alleyway, police officers blocking them from getting any closer.

Devon Cassidy pulls her car to stop, green eyes peering out at the commotion, preparing herself. She takes a deep breath before pushing her door open, climbing out, and stepping out onto the slick street. Snow crunches under her heeled boots as she walks, it all pretty much mush at this point due to many cars driving in this area.

"Any word from Hank?" She asks, glancing over at Connor who had fallen into step with her. "Yes, he said he is on his way. Should be here in five minutes." She only gives him a nod to show she acknowledged him as the two come closer to the yellow tape. The two are allowed past by one of the officers standing by and they notice someone familiar standing in the ally.

"Ben," Devon says the round man's name, causing him to quickly turn, tablet clutched in his hands. "Devon, Connor," He looks between the two then past them. "Where's Hank?" It was odd not seeing the Lieutenant with the two. "He's on his way. Go ahead and fill us in." Devon nods past him where she can see someone laying on the ground, someone in a white suit taking pictures.

"Well, we called you two because this seems pretty similar to your current case." He beckons them to follow him and they do as he speaks.

"Our victim was attacked with some kind of weapon it seems, hit in the head multiple times."

Devon slows to a stop, her chest tightening at the sight of the victim that was fully revealed to her once the CSI person moves out of the way. She is laying face down, limbs sprawled out, orange hair matted and clumped with blue blood. Devon's eyes spot a large hole in the back of her head, her insides staring back at her.

Connor keels next to the victim, careful not to step in the puddle of blue blood that's pooling around the body and that is beginning to fade. His eyes squint and LED spins as he inspects the wound on the back of her head. "It seems that a bat was used to cause this damage." This makes Devon's heart clench in her chest.

"Just like our other victim." It's not a question, just a statement she wishes wasn't true. Connor glances over at his partner, seeing the conflict in her pretty green eyes, the way her hands flex, and un-flex as she tries to keep calm. He can only offer her a sympathetic look, a softness in his eyes he only has for her. He too hates this, hates that they have another victim on their hands that was most likely killed by the same killer.

Connor turns his coffee-colored eyes back onto the victim, inspecting the wound further, looking more in-depth to try and get more information. He can see where she's been struck with an object where he already discovered to be a bat based on his prior knowledge and the fact that the indentions are similar to the ones on Jacki. But, there is something different about some of the wounds, some of them uneven and oblong.

Squinting, he racks his brain for what this could be until he realizes it.

"It also seems that our killer was a lot angrier this time." This catches Devon's attention from where she was standing to the side by Ben. "What do you mean?" She scrunches her brow up in question, wondering how her partner managed to come up with that conclusion. Connor glances over at Devon from over his should, something in his eyes making her feel like she's not going to like what he says.

"She was stomped on."

The blonde cringes, wrapping her arms around herself as she stares at the victim. This poor woman was brutally killed and probably went through so much pain before she died. Android's sadly can stay conscious longer than humans when they've taken a lot of damage, a sad fact she has learned working on android cases. Devon's stomach churns, a sickening feeling at the pit of her stomach.