Chapter Thirty-Seven: Yellow Pages

DATE
DEC  18TH, 2038
TIME
9:25 AM

The room was filled with an uneasy silence, the atmosphere thick with dread. The two males in the room look at the woman who stood before them, processing what she has just said.

"Your dad?" The Lieutenant asks, trying to clarify what she just said. "Devon..."Connor trails off, eyes looking at her, searching for any hints of her lying or maybe she was trying to play a prank on them, but he couldn't see any of that, only genuine fear danced in her green eyes.

"It was him. He's here in Detroit..." Her voice shakes as much as her hands are. A warning pops up in Connor's visions, telling him that the woman's anxiety was rising to an extreme and that she was on the verge of a panic attack. Also, Ellie confirms this when she sits by Devon's side, whining and nudging her hand, alerting to the attack.

"Okay Devon, let's take a seat." Connor leads the woman over to the couch, helping her sit. Ellie hops up on the cushion to her left, placing her head against the woman's chest. "Hank," Connor's head lifts to look at the older man whose blue eyes hold concern for the young woman.

"Please get her a glass of water." The man hesitates a moment blue eyes on Devon, taking in her shaken state then nods his head, making his way into the kitchen. The brown-eyed android wastes no time in crouching in front of Devon, clasping her small hands in his.

"Try to breathe, okay?" He asks, noticing that her breathing has become irregular. The android begins to demonstrate a breathing pattern, Devon trying to follow. Hank enters the room again, placing the water on the coffee table before taking his place across the room by the bookshelf, trying to give them some space so she can come out of this.

Devon takes in a shaky breath and exhales when Connor does. As time goes on, with the breathing, Connor's gentle grasp on her hands, and the pressure of Ellie against her chest, the blonde begins to calm down, her anxiety no longer in the red.

"Speak when you're ready okay?" Connor asks and Devon manages to nod, removing one of her hands from his so she could pet Ellie's head who has moved down to her lap now.

"I can't believe he's here." She says, fingers raking through Ellie's golden hair. "He was visiting your mom's grave?" Hank asks, getting a nod. He smacks his lips together, a hand combing over his beard.

"That bastard." Hank tsks, shaking his head angrily. Connor stays looking at Devon, watching as her brain thinks hard about something.

"I never thought if we crossed paths again that he would run like that, I thought he would..." Devon trails off, mind going into a darker place, a place where she would have black and blue bruises all over her skin.

"Why would he run? He got somethin' to hide?" Hank asks, thinking out loud. Devon ponders this a moment, her eyes widening slightly when she thinks of something.

"What if he tries to go after Evelyn?" Fear is strong in her eyes and Connor shakes his head, rubbing a finger over her hand gently. "That won't happen, okay? Evelyn is one of the most protected people in Detroit." He tried to reassure her. Evelyn is very protected being by Markus's side. They have protection 24/7 and they are both capable of taking care of themselves. Devon bites her lip, still unsure if that's actually true.

"I have to tell her he's back." Devon didn't want her to be surprised if they happened to cross paths. "Leave that up to us, okay kid?" Hank says stepping forward. He doesn't want her trying to stress too much about all the little things, just wanting her to focus on herself for once.