Chapter Three: Choices

DATENOV 6TH 2038TIME AM 11:30:05

DATE
NOV 6TH 2038
TIME
AM 11:30:05

In a small house in Detroit, a woman lays fast asleep in her comfortable bed. Her blonde hair lays out across the white pillow like gold. She stirs slightly in her sleep, feeling like something was off. She peeks one of her eyes open, looking to the holographic clock on her black nightstand. She groans, seeing that it was currently 11:30 AM. This was very late for her considering she usually gets to work at seven in the morning.

Devon Cassidy pushes her soft blanket off of her. She looks at the end of her bed, seeing the head of a golden retriever stick up. "Hey, girl." Devon smiles at the dog that happily wags her tail, happy to see her owner finally awake. "How's my favorite girl?" Devon coos, scratching behind the dog's ear. The dog pants happily as she gets all the love she could ever ask for. The woman pushes herself out of bed and walks to her closet, searching for the outfit she was going to wear today.

The detective decides on a dark maroon button-up shirt, black dress pants, and a pair of black thick heeled high heels. She dresses quickly, leaving the first three buttons unbuttoned on her shirt and tucks it into her pants. Devon grabs her badge off of her nightstand and attaches it to her belt before placing her holster and gun on her side. She rushes to the bathroom, quickly brushing her teeth and hair. Her hair falls in loose curls and she applies a small amount of makeup.

"Ellie!" She shouts, walking out of the bathroom. She hears paws hit the wood floor and soon her golden retriever stood in front of her. "Let's go potty." The dog's ears perk up and she runs excitedly to the back door. Devon lets her outside and she checks to make sure she had food and water in her bowls before letting her back inside. "Okay," The woman sighs, kneeling in front of the dog, placing both hands on the side of her face. "Mommy is going to work, I'll be back soon. Jessica will come by and check on you." Jessica is her neighbor's daughter. She's fifteen and absolutely the sweetest thing ever. Devon has given her a key so she could come over and take care of Ellie whenever she was at work.

Devon kisses her dog's nose before standing to her feet. She gathers up her keys and coat and leaves her house. Traffic was terrible, causing the detective to run later then she wanted to. Eventually, she does make it to work but it was half-past one at this point.

The detective makes her way into the precinct, sending a smile to Emily. "Good morning, Detective." The android greets. "Morning, Em." The detective walks through the glass doors. She looks around all the desks, seeing that Hanks is empty but that doesn't surprise her. She sighs heavily and goes over to her desk, setting her things down. She grabs the small white bag that has her half-eaten breakfast sandwich and walks towards the small break room, saying hello to some of her fellow coworkers. The female detective pauses in the archway of the said break room, seeing Detective Reed stood at a table with officer Tina Chen and Connor stood facing him.