Chapter 18

"Nova"

I hear this weird echoing voice in my dream.

"Nova"

I groan in my sleep, turning to face the opposite way.

"Nova, wake up please."

My eyes snap open.

It's not a dream? I look at the person who has their hand on my shoulder and it's the scariest thing ever.

A white man.

"Good morning love." Ethan smiles at me. "I made breakfast, but first- scoot over." He says, pulling the covers up and slipping into the bed next to me.

He wraps his arms around my body, pulling me to his chest and I watch as he closes his eyes, the biggest smile on his face.

So hes just going to come up in here, not even let me know, and sleep?

"What are you doing here?" I ask tiredly.

"I'm laying in bed with my girlfriend. What are you doing?" He asks, eyes opening.

I blink at him, not amused.

"You seem so happy. I've been here alone for 5 days. You seem like it's not affecting you at all." I rub my eyes, sighing.

"I'm sorry. But I brought gifts?"

I scoff, turning around so my back faces him.

"Are you seriously trying to buy me out? I don't care about that kind of thing." I say, burying my face into the pillow.

I hear Ethan sigh before climbing out of the bed. I'm thinking that he's going to leave, but the blankets soon get ripped off of me.

Before I can even protest, he's dragging me out of bed and throwing me over his shoulder.

"Hey! Put me down." I whine.

He smacks my ass, beginning to walk down the stairs.

"You're an ass,you know that?" I groan, feeling my cheeks heat up. "You can't just touch me how you please."

Ethan just hums, walking into the kitchen. He sets me down on the counter, leaning forward and placing his hands on either side of me.

"How do you look so pretty even when you just wake up?" He asks, tilting his head.

I stare at him for a moment before I poke his cheek, making sure he's real.

"Why are you here? Won't your mom find out?" I ask, wrapping my arms around his shoulders.

"Don't worry about that kind of thing. I don't want you stressing. It's not good for the baby, you know?"

"Neither is manhandling me and throwing me over your shoulder, I'm sure." I roll my eyes.

"But I made sure your waist was pressed on my shoulder. Not your stomach." He grins. "I can't be here long. I'm supposed to be picking some decor up for the wedding but I wanted to stop here. I don't think my mom will find out. But if I'm gone too long she'll get crazy, so let's eat quickly."

He helps me off the counter, pulling me to the dining table where two plates sit.

We sit across from each other and I watch with a small smile as he begins to eat.

"So, uh, I was thinking..." I start, putting my hands in my lap. Ethan looks up at me, giving me his full attention. "I don't think going to the wedding is the best thing...um. You're white. Your family is white. The girl you're marrying but not marrying is white- so her family will be too. Don't you think it'll be...dangerous? If me and my friends go? Cameron is the only white one in our friend group besides you. I don't want to put my friends in that situation."