Chapter 14

After quite the angry walk, I finally arrive at Ethan's place. I put the box down on the porch and knock repeatedly on the door. I wait for a minute, no answer. I'm about to knock again when the door swings open.

"Who are you?" The guy leans against the doorframe.

"Is Ethan home? I'm just here to give him his stuff back." I say, putting on a fake smile.

"Oh yeah, sure. He's in his room right now. Last time I seen the door was open too." The boy opens the door wider and moves out the way.

I thank him and pick up the box again, practically running up the stairs to his room. Like the boy said, his door was already open. I hear him in the bathroom so I drop the box on the floor, it landing with a loud "thud" and close his door, locking it.

"What the heck was that." I hear Ethan say before the sound of the sink water turning on fills the room.

I cross my arms, tapping my foot lightly on the floor, waiting for him to come out. I hear him humming to some random song before he finally walks out of the bathroom, freezing when he sees me.

"What are you doing here? I told you it's not safe for you to be here." His eyes widen, looking panicked. He starts walking towards me but I hold a hand up, making him stop.

I don't realize my body is shaking until I see my hand in front of me.

I'm pissed.

I try to take a deep breath before I say anything. I want to have a civil conversation, or as civil as it can get with me in this state. I open the box, pulling out the wedding invitation. I throw it on the floor and kick it in his direction.

"What. The fuck. Is. That?" I speak slowly, seething.

Ethan frowns, bending over and picking it up. His eyebrows furrow as he looks at the contents of the paper.

"Nova, it's not what it looks like." He says, making me scoff.

"It's not what it fucking looks like? Do you take me as a fucking dumbass? Do you Ethan? Is that not a wedding invitation?" I raise an eyebrow at him. I can feel my blood boiling, I'm ready to snap at any minute. I don't know why I'm still here. I just came to drop his shit off and leave.

"Okay, it is what is looks like. But listen to me-" he tries to take another step closer but I send him a deathly glare.

"Ethan I'm tired of listening! I'm so sick and fucking tired of listening to your excuses. It's been so long, and nothing has fucking changed! Do you want me to just sit around forever, wasting my life waiting for you to do something?" I clench my fists so hard I can feel my nails ripping at my skin.

"I'm trying my best, Nova. I really am. I don't plan to go through with the marriage." He drops the card and walks over to me despite my protests.

"Please. I just need more time." He reaches up to cup my cheeks but I push his hands away from me.

"Don't you dare fucking touch me." I say, disgusted at the guy in front of me. He looks hurt and sad.

I don't care. I don't give a shit anymore. I'm so sick and tired of playing his little waiting game.

"What's in the box?" He asks gently. I take a few steps away from him.

"All of your shit." I mutter. He picks the box up and places it on his bed. He goes through the contents of it before turning back to me.

"I gave most of these to you." He says, frowning. "They're not mine anymore."

"Ethan, what don't you get? I don't want your shit! I don't want anything that has to do with you. I'm so tired. I can't take these games anymore, it's making me go crazy!" I groan, closing my eyes and willing myself not to cry.