Chapter 9

(Nova's airport outfit above. Sorry, I couldn't find a black girl wearing something similar to this😔)

I don't fly much, I really can't even remember the process of getting checked in at the airport. We just checked in our bags and Ethan leads me to wherever we go. I'm way too tired to even think. I don't remember having to bring my passport last time I flew, but maybe since I haven't been to the airport in so long, things have changed. We ride up the escalator and get in line where they have a drug detection dog to make sure you're not bringing anything illegal on the flight.

"This is the last thing before we can go to our gate." Ethan tells me, I nod. He gives me a weird look but I just ignore it, yawning.

"Next." The man with the dog says. Ethan pats me to go first and I do.

"You're just going to walk in a straight line down to where the tape is at, okay?" He instructs and I nod.

I don't know why I get nervous, but I do. I don't even do drugs but this shit has me acting like I'm suspicious. I walk in a straight line until I get to the the tape then turn around. The man nods at me and I wait for Ethan. Once he's done, we go up the escalator again, and start looking for our gate.

"So, I am a liar." He says as he looks around.

"What do you mean?" I frown.

"You know, I knew you were tired. But I didn't expect you to be this out of it. Do you even remember the questions they asked you about where you're flying to?" He asks, amused.

"Nope, I assumed you were getting asked the same questions so I just repeated whatever you said. I'm exhausted." I scrunch up my face.

"Hmm, interesting." He grins, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "Oh, here's our gate." I look around, there's only a few people in the airport and they're at gates further away. Maybe this isn't a big traveling season, or maybe it's just so early.

He leads me to one of the areas and we sit down in two free seats. He keeps his arm around me and I lay my head on his shoulder. I look at the screen that says what times the flights are departing but I don't see any going to New York.

"Ethan I think we're at the wrong gate." I sit up, frowning.

"No, we're at the right gate." He looks at me, a smirk taking over his lips.

"No, we're not. All of the flights listed on here are going somewhere else. We have to go find our gate." I stand up but Ethan grabs my hand.

"We're at the right gate." He says again. I blink at him. Does he think I'm dumb? None of these flights are departing to New York.

"Ugh, none of these flights are even going anywhere in this country."

"Look at your ticket." Ethan let's go of my hand.

"What?" I shake my head. "What are you talking about? You said we're going to New York."

"Look. At. Your. Ticket." He repeats. Actually, he demands which makes me frown.

I decide to just look at the stupid ticket so I can prove that we're at the wrong gate. I pull it out my pocket. Gate G33, Departure: 7:30am, 1st CL, Destination CA to......I blink. What the fuck.

"Ethan...." I don't take my eyes off of the ticket. I must not be seeing this right. "T-this doesn't say New York." My voice shakes.

Is this man kidnapping me? Why did he tell everyone we're going to New York if we are definitely not going to New York. Ethan pulls me closer to him so I'm now standing in front of him between his legs.