Chapter 3

This isn't Nova, but it's the bathing suit she is wearing to the beach, along with what the beach looks like. I don't want to have a set character for anyone because I like to imagine my own characters when I read so I don't get disappointed 💀 so I'll leave y'all to imagine what they look like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a few weeks since the party. Everything has been good. My classes have been good, Ethan and I have been hanging out outside of classes, I've made a few new friends, and Ethan has even befriended Lorena, Callie, and Cameron. Him and Cameron especially get along well. Callie is really excited about that because, as she states, "Cameron is just so in love with me, he doesn't make much of an effort to make other friends. We're always together."

Right now we're in our intro to higher education class. This class feels more like a free period than an actual class. I love it. Supposedly we're having a debate today. Our professor didn't give us the topic beforehand, so we have no idea what to argue. I look over at Ethan, who is sitting next to me, chatting with another guy in the class. He made a bunch of friends easily, everybody loves him.

"Okay class," our professor stands up from her desk. "as you can see, the chairs are split up. Half are on one side of the room, the other half on the other side. Today's topic is on abortion. Before I go any further, I want you all to know that any form of disrespect will not be tolerated in this class. We are all entitled to our own opinions, no matter what we believe in. So now, I want everyone to stand up." Everyone stands.

"Now, whoever believes that abortion should not be an option for pregnant women, in other words, whoever is pro life, take a seat on the left." I watch as people moved to sit down at the pro life section, though I stay still.

What I didn't expect is for Ethan to take a seat over there. I watch in disbelief as he smiles warmly at me and nods to the seat next to him. Does he actually expect me to sit down with him? What the hell?

"Now, whoever believes that abortion should be a choice, in other words, if you are pro choice sit on the right." The rest of us sit down. I sit in one of the front seats.

Ethan and I are directly across from each other. He's frowning, as if he's upset I'm on the pro choice side. Well I'm upset he's on the pro life side. I look at the people over there. There's more guys than girls. On our side it's the opposite. There's more girls than guys. Since we weren't given any time to prepare, the professor says the opening statements for each side.

"Okay, pro life students, you may begin. You only have a certain amount of time and if I say switch, you have to let the opposite side talk okay?" Everyone nods in agreement. "Alright, let's start."

"Abortion is murder. How can you be for murder? Unborn babies are considered human beings by the government. It's a woman's own personal selfishness that results in the death of hundreds, probably thousands of babies." One of the guys from the pro life side says almost immediately.

"If the government is so against this 'murder', how come it allowed the U.S Supreme Court to rule abortion as a fundamental right that's guaranteed by the U.S Constitution?" I say back, crossing my arms. I look at Ethan again, and he's frowning.

"Roe V. Wade was approved in 1973. Since then we have had time to realize that unborn babies' lives are just as important as our own." Ethan speaks up, his voice soft, as if he doesn't want to hurt my feelings or make me angry.

"Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy, not a baby." A girl from my side speaks up. "A persons age is calculated from their birth date, not the day of conception."

"They're still people. It's murder. And you're all still okay with that?" A girl from the pro life side speaks up. I want to slap the shit out of her.