13 | future

"So how was it meeting my brothers?"

Embry looked at her, "How are you so sweet and kind, yet your brothers are absolutely brutal? They did not show me any mercy but I do admire how much they care about you and wanted to make sure I had the right intentions. I love you and I wanted them to know that. Don't worry, nothing they did was going to scare me away."

Nia giggled, "Well I'm glad to hear that because I love you too."

"Have you thought about what you want to do next?" He knew it was on her mind and everyone certainly had an opinion about her future.

Nia sighed, "I'm going to Washington State. I want to live here and open a vets office, animals have always been my passion. My life is here and I'm not going anywhere." She wanted nothing more than to have a future with Embry and right by the people she cared about. Nia knew neither of her parents were leaving, especially considering the fact they had been rekindling their relationship but acted like it wasn't happening.

"You sure?" Embry asked softly. He wanted a future with her, hell he couldn't see his future without her but he didn't want her to feel like she had to be tied to him. He wanted her to have a choice and the last he wanted was for to be upset.

Nia smiled before placing a hand on his cheek, "I want nothing more than to be here with you and my family. I'm happy here and I'm not going anywhere any time soon."

"I just don't want you to feel like you don't have a choice." Embry sighed. He didn't want to hold her back from accomplishing her potential. She was smart and was going places and he wanted to always encourage her to do her best.

Nia shook her head, "I know but I love you and I want to be with you, I want to be here. I made this choice. What's life if you're not surrounded by the people you love?"

"I love you too, you have no idea how happy you made me."

"I do because you make me happy too."

"What's got you so happy?"

Nia giggled before she placed an envelope on the table in front of her parents, "I got in."

"Into what?"

"Washington State." Nia beamed.

"You what? You got into Washington Stare? Oh honey, congratulations." Her mother squealed as she hugged her daughter tightly.

Sometimes Mariana could not believe how well adjusted her daughter was despite everything she had been through. Nia had almost died and she still found time to apply for college and figure out her future.

After her mother had let her go, her dad took her stop, "I'm so proud of you, kid. After everything that's happened, I can't begin to explain how proud I am of you, you prevailed through everything. I love you."

"I love you too dad." Nia grinned as she sat down in front of her parents.

"I do have to ask though, why didn't you pick a better college? I know you applied and you're smart enough to get into any college. Why did you choose one close to home?"

Nia sighed before grabbing a hold of their hands, "I love you both and I know you're worried about me but I want to be here. I'm going to college here and then I'm going to open a veterinarian practice. I belong here, with you guys and Embry. No one of you are preventing me from accomplishing my potential. I'm happy and I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life with the people I care about. Besides, it's not like I haven't noticed you both going behind my back."

"How'd you know?"

"Please, I'm my mother's daughter after all."