Changing Lives

Olive's POV

Once I'd calmed down, Angie and Janelle took me to a car, which I guess was Angie's and drove me someone.

I answered their questions carefully. 

"What's your name honey?"

"Olive Sanders."

"How old are you?"

"Eleven."

"Do you have any questions for us?" Angie asked.

"Where'd you find me? Why are you helping me? Where are we going? And what do you want with me?" 

Angie sighed. "We saw the crash happen, and went with you to the hospital. We're helping you because I recognize when someone like me needs help. We're going to where I work. And we don't want anything but to help you."

I felt bad. "I'm sorry."

"Olive you have nothing to be sorry for. You've just been temporarily taken in by strangers and your parents are no longer on this earth." Janelle said.

I burst into tears again.

"Ellie! Get out of the car." Angie said.

"Angie I didn't mean-"

"Look, I'll see you later, but you aren't helping. I'll come help with apartment shopping tomorrow."

Janelle kissed her cheek. "Bye Ange. Love you. Sorry Olive." She opened the car door and left down the street.

Angie drove me to a theatre, and parked the car nearby. "I have your backpack hon. You'll stay with me tonight, but we'll find you somewhere more permanent tomorrow. And a lawyer is coming by later. If anyone asks I'm your cousin."

(Foreshadowing.)

I nodded, and accepted my backpack from her.

I took her hand and she led me to a side door, where she pressed a button, and it opened. 

"Angie!!!" A lady with brown hair bounded towards her.

"Hi Izzy. This is Olive. I'll explain later." Angie's eyes were unreadable but this Izzy lady seemed to understand.

"Olive hon, why don't you come to my dressing room." Angie lead me to a hallway with a bunch of doors and opened one.

"Hey Ange. Who's this?"

"Bia, this is Olive, I'll explain later. Olive this is my friend Bianca. She plays my best friend."

"I thought I was your best friend." Bianca looked offended.

"We all know that position belongs to Caleb." Angie said.

"What is your job?" I asked.

"That's right I never told you! I'm a Broadway actress. The musical I'm in is called The Prom, and I play a girl named Kaylee. Bianca plays someone named Shelby. And Izzy, who you met earlier plays a main character named Alyssa."

Angie's phone rings. "Do you want to sit on the couch? I'll be right back. Entertain yourself."

I nod, and watch her step out into the hallway.

In my backpack, which was now stained with little drops of blood was a stuffed animal from my mom, a tiny baby blanket from my dad, and a notebook and some pencils.

I take out my notebook and start drawing.

Bianca looks up from where she's doing her makeup. "Olive you're a really good drawer."

"Thank you." I blush.

Angie comes back.

"Olive honey, the lawyer's here. Leave your things."

I take her hand and she leads me to the lobby, where there's a man in a suit.

"Henry Parker." She says.

"Miss Pauly. Nice to see you again. You never did claim your house, so I brought the key." He holds out a house key.

"That's right." She stares at the key. "I forgot all about that."

"I assume you've called me for a reason." He says.

"This little girl's parents just died and their lawyer is coming and I thought we needed some help. Olive this is my lawyer Mr Parker. Henry this is Olive."

"Hello." I play with a strand of my hair and look up at him.

"Why do you look so familiar. That's right! Miss Pauly can I talk to you."

Angie leans down and tells me to wait for her, then steps aside where I can't hear them.

Suddenly she stands up straighter, and walks back to me.

"Olive honey." She starts. "We're half sisters."

"Are you sure?" I mumble.

"My father had an affair with your mother, and I don't think she ever told you or your dad."

"Does this mean I can stay with you forever?"

Angie looked sad. "Honey I would love nothing more than that, but I'm underage. I can't legally take you in. But I think I know how can help us. Henry, you mind waiting for the Sander's lawyer Mrs Wright?"

"Anything for my best customer Miss Pauly."

"We'll be right back. Come here Olive."

I clutched her hand and followed her to another dressing room where that Izzy lady was.

"Okay Izzy, we don't have much time so let's get to it."