It's Not About Me

Olive's POV

Caitlin was watching me while Izzy went grocery shopping. 

"You're still going to do Spelling Bee right? Don't you have your first rehearsal tomorrow?" 

"I don't think so." I say quietly.

She slid a grilled cheese sandwich and some cucumber (as per the diet requested for days I was doing better) onto my plate and filled a glass with water. "Liv, I think it would be good for you. You may not like performing like me or Izzy, but it will help you break out of your shell, maybe meet some friends." She drummed her fingers on the counter and hummed.

I picked up a cucumber piece. "Okay." I sighed.

The next day, Caitlin and Beth dropped me off at the theatre. I was really grateful for the cast. They were all really supportive about my new diet, and anything else. 

Caitlin had sent an email to the director saying that because of my new diet, the doctors said that I have to have a parent around for all of my activities in case something happens. Which is true, but made it more nerve racking. 

Beth waved to us. "Break a leg starshine." She waved to us, then pulled out of the parking lot. 

Caitlin promised to hang out in the hallway, unless I needed her.

"Mom I'm scared." I whisper.

"It's okay honey. I'll be right here if you need me." She gave me a smile and gestured to the door.

"Oh Olive! You're here!" It was Ms. Amy. "We heard about what happened, the cast made you a card." 

A girl with pink, purple, and blue streaked hair smiled at me. "Hi, I'm Denise! I'm going to be Marcy." She smiled at me, showing her braces. 

"I'm Olive." I said shyly.

"I know. I like how your name is your character's name." Denise said in reply.

"Hey I'm Paisley." Paisley was a year older than me, but was small. "I'm going to be Logainne." She smiled at me.

Then a girl came in with a scowl on her face. "You must the be girl who took the role I wanted." She said, crossing her arms. "I'm Melissa Jones. Your understudy." She glared at me. "And ensemble."

"Wait, Jones as in the Jones twins? The twin girls who dropped out of high school to enter the fashion business because their arts careers didn't work out, but they failed?" Paisley asked. 

"Yup. They were always the disappointments." Melissa said. "Marissa and Clarissa failed at life, and now my parents think they're disgraces. And so do I."

"Mari and Clarissa? They were my sister's high school bullies." I said quietly.

"How ironic. Consider me your bully." She threw her head back and laughed, before turning on her heel and sitting down.

I ran out of the rehearsal area. "Mom." I said.

"Olive, what's wrong?"

"I have stage fright. Massive stage fright. Please don't make me do this."

"Okay Liv, let's go tell your director." 

"Hahahaha looks like Olive needed her mommy!" Melissa taunted as Caitlin talked to Ms Amy.

"Okay everybody, Olive is being pulled out of the show, for medical reasons. So taking her place as Olive will be our current Marcy, Denise. Our current Logainne, Paisley will take her place as Marcy, and Melissa will become Logainne."

Melissa was outraged, and I couldn't help but bite back a laugh. I exchanged numbers with Paisley and Denise, promising to come see the show, and Caitlin and I left.