Don't Give Up Hope

It's been a minute since I've update. Sorry! Hope you enjoy!

Olive's POV

"Hey Livvy?" Izzy asked me one day while we were walking in the park. She thought I should have some inspiration for my art competition submission.

I was calling the two girls in my drawing Cora and Opal. Cora was the one in the sundress, Opal was the one with the messy bun. I had a story outlined for them.

I looked at Izzy. "What is it?"

"I was wondering where you stood on adoption?"

Adoption?!

"Oh uhhhh, I don't, I can't, I ummm. Adoption is uhhhh, fine."

"Oh."

Sorry Izzy.

Things were quiet at the theatre. Bianca was out, because she'd gotten a cold. So Kristen, a swing and ensemble girl was filling in for Shelby.

Angie asked me about adoption. "I was wondering who you'd like to have custody over you Olive? It's your choice remember that."

"Oh um." I remember what Angie said when I'd met her. She said she'd get custody over me if it's what I wanted. "I want to live with you and Janelle."

"Oh really?" She asked.

I nodded anxiously.

"I'll tell Izzy then." She said softly.

Izzy looked like someone killed her puppy in front of her. Of course, I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a puppy.

"I set the court date." She said sadly. "It's Sunday. We'd better get you packed soon."

"Izzy-" I started, then I realized I'd slipped up with my wording.

"It's fine Olive." She said, smiling as much as she could before leaving.

We'd gotten me packed up in an hour. Janelle frowned when she saw my face when Angie closed the door to Izzy's apartment. 

My room at their house was still covered in yellow and daisies and was still as amazing and perfect as I could remember. Yet I still missed my room at Izzy's. My comfy bed where the plug-in fan was in the perfect spot for the warmer nights. (Which is now every night because it's summer in New York.)

I had clothes here already, but it still felt wrong unpacking my suitcase in the closet. I didn't want Angie to feel bad, so I stuffed my suitcase in and shut the closet door.

"Olive! Dinner!" Angie called.

I went down the stairs and found Janelle talking to Angie.

"Angie, I love you, and I love your sister, but did you ever think that maybe she didn't want to let you down? She was so happy with Izzy."

Angie nodded. "Yeah. She was. I wasn't thinking was I? I guess I was just so excited to be able to be with my family Ellie."

"I know. I know."

"Angie?" I asked, stepping into the kitchen.

"Olive, you know I love you right? And you're the first thing I've had in a long time that was related to me that I loved?"

"Yes on the first thing, no on the second." I said slowly. "What's wrong."

"I think Izzy should adopt you."

My heart leapt.

"But Izzy was all sad when I said I'd rather live with you." I said in reply.

"You were meant to be her daughter. Just think about it. No pressure." Angie said in reply.

I nodded.

"I made tacos!" Janelle said, changing the mood.

It was now the day that the judge would decide who'd get full custody over me.

"Ms. Macasaet-Pauly, what is your relation to Olive Sanders?" The judge asked.

"She's my half sister, on my father's side." Angie replied.

"Ms. McCalla, what is your relation to Olive Sanders?" 

Izzy stood up to speak. "She's my foster daughter."

"Olive, where would you like to be placed?"

Angie nodded encouragingly. "As much as I love my sister," I started, "Izzy is like my mom. It's been a long time since I've had a mother who treated me like her own. I'd rather be adopted by Izzy."

The judge nodded. "Well then, let's hear from your social worker."

A lady I've never seen before stood up. "Well then. As much as Ms. McCalla has done for Olive, taking her in as an emergency guardian and feeding and housing her, it's in my opinion that her sister will be the better guardian, and that she should be placed there your honor."

The judge nodded thoughtfully. "Thank you, you may be seated."

"Now wait just a second!" Angie stood back up again.

"What is it Ms. Macasaet-Pauly?" The judge asked patiently. I like this judge.

"As much as I love my sister, which I do with my whole heart, she even admitted she'd much rather be with Izzy, who is an amazing guardian. If it's even being considered, I'd much rather have my sister be happy than with me." She said.

Izzy and I both had tears in our eyes. Janelle smiled proudly at Angie.

The judge thought for a moment. "Olive Sanders will be placed in the permanent care of Isabelle McCalla."

I beamed and hugged Izzy tight.

That day we changed my name. I'd changed out of my green dress, and into a comfortable pair of shorts and a t-shirt. 

"Okay Livvy, fill out your current name here, and then put what you want your name to be here."

"Olive Kate Sanders." I said through gritted teeth. "Olive Emma McCalla."

Caitlin blinked. "Emma?"

"Well, I'm taking Momma's last name, but I wanted to credit you."

"Why?"

"You gave me hope. When I thought it wasn't possible. Everyone in the cast, but your my Mom." I said, hugging her.

"The cast is throwing you a party!" Angie cried once I was officially a McCalla.

"Congratulations Olive!" Evan and Max cried once we got there. (Evan and Max play Nick and Kevin respectively if you remember from Adopted by Six.)

Beth shoulder hugged me. "I'm proud of you Miss McCalla." She smiled.

"Thanks Auntie Beth."

"Olive!" Brooks cried, hug tackling me.

"Hi Uncle Brooks!" 

It was amazing. I have hope things will get better. (Hahahahaha nope.)