One Thing's Universal

Olive's POV

"Olive, thank you for seeing me after class."

Madame Reinold was German and brutal, but we all knew how sweet she was underneath. Her slowly graying hair was always pulled up in a tight bun and we rarely saw her not in proper ballet attire. She owned the studio we danced at. It was just ballet. And pointe, but only those she selected were able to advance. I liked that about this studio, you only advanced when you were ready enough and you always had a say. 

"Of course Madame." I replied politely. Politeness was an unspoken rule at the studio. It kept the professionalism up.

"My daughter tells me that you've grown quite a bit since you entered her beginning ballet class. She's very proud." Her thick German accent has faded a little over time after living in America so long but you can still hear it and make it out to be a German accent.

Lily Reinold was her daughter, and she taught the beginning ballet class. Madame attended every class at the studio even if she didn't teach the class herself, including beginning ballet. Madame didn't teach intermediate ballet either, she taught advanced ballet, but she was always there we thought of her as our teacher as well.

"Miss Madeline believes you've grown in her class as well. We would like to place you in my advanced ballet class and in Into to Pointe as well." 

"Really Madame?" I asked excitedly.

"You've only been at this studio for six months but all the instructors, including myself believe you're ready Olive." Madame smiled. "And numerous students have come to us saying you're far to good for the intermediate class. If you'd like to attend my advanced class you'd be rather young I'll admit, but I'm sure you'll adjust rather quickly. It's at the same time and day as the intermediate class, and Into to Pointe is a half hour class afterwards. Here is more information if you'd like to talk it over with your mother."

"Thank you Madame." I took the paper excitedly and hurried to gather my things in the viewing deck. There were little kids from the Into to Ballet class that would be starting in the studio soon. Their parents were taking their things and stashing them underneath the chairs. My duffel was against the wall, and I quickly swapped my ballet shoes for my combat boots (I found them at a thrift store and I fell in love), and pulled my jacket over my leotard. 

Miss Madeline waved to her our attention. "Girls, remember to stretch and warm up properly if you're going to practice for auditions, it's winter and we don't want you pulling a muscle with the cold."

"Auditions for what?" I asked Cadence, a girl in my class.

"Oh that's right you didn't hear. Auditions for the production of The Nutcracker they do every year. It's a big deal. The little dancers play the children's parts and the advanced classes play the main roles. It's a very big deal." She smiled. "I bet you'll get Clara."

I shook my head. "I'm too new to ballet to be a main role."

Cadence smiled. "Everyone wants you to be Clara, all the older dancers think you'll be Clara too. Good job today."

"You too Cadence. I'll see you in class tomorrow."

Izzy entered the viewing deck. "Liv!"

I stopped. "You've never called me that before Momma."

She faltered. "Are you okay?"

"Thats what my dad called me."

"Oh. I can stop."

"No it's okay."

"Okay then. How was class today?"

"It was pretty good." I smiled.

Cadence waved at Izzy. "Pretty good! Olive you know what happened!" She smiled at Izzy. "Hi Ms McCalla."

"Hi Cadence. How many times have I told you to call me Izzy."

"Okay then, Izzy." She paused. "Anyway Olive, today was not just pretty good!"

"Sycamore!" Someone called from the doorway to the viewing deck.

"Oh coming Mami! Bye Olive, by Ms...Izzy." Cadence quickly shuffled to grab her bag.

"Bye Cadence." Izzy smiled. "Let's go Livvy. We've got guests later."

I nodded. "That's right we do!" I smiled happily. Ever since the cast change my family has their own lives and I don't get to see them everyday, but Izzy and I were hosting a monthly family dinner. Every month someone hosted everyone at their home for a potluck dinner.

"So what happened that was so great?" Izzy asked, snuggling into her puffy jacket.

"A few things." I had the paper clutched under my jacket as carefully as possible. "Madame Reinold called me in after class today."

Izzy smiled. "Oh?"

"And she said that all the teachers agree I'm doing so well, they want to move me into the advanced class and start me in Into to Pointe." I beamed. "There's more information on this paper she gave me." I handed Izzy the paper.

Izzy scanned it. "Well the good news is the advanced class isn't much more than the intermediate class and the Into to Pointe class is free, but since it runs later I may not be able to pick you up after class."

My heart sank. "What?"

"Hey don't worry about it. I really do think you should take that class, it'll be good for you and you've been doing so well with your diet. Maybe someone else could get you."

I nodded. "Okay. We'll figure it out."

Izzy side hugged me. "That's my girl. Now I think there's more news."

I smiled again. "So the studio does a yearly production of The Nutcracker, and auditions are soon. Everyone says I have a chance at being Clara."

Izzy started jumping up and down. "That's great Olive! We have to go on the website and look up more about the auditions as soon as we get home!" She grabbed my hand and we started running to the apartment.

The literal second we had gotten inside Izzy's apartment, well I guess mine now too, she grabbed my laptop off the counter and showed it carefully into my arms.

It took a minute but I pulled up the website and found they'd already put up Nutcracker audition sign ups and information.

"Okay it looks like you have to learn this dance to audition for Clara, as well as come up with an original dance to a piece of classical music." Izzy said, scrolling down the webpage. The only words I could make out from how Izzy had angler my laptop was the words: Dance is Universal.

"Okay, I'm doing it!"