Chapter 43

Author's note: Another surprise!! I am so sorry about not responding to all your comments again, but I have just been really busy. However, please know that I have read every single comment. I am so happy that the majority of you are enjoying the story. I do apologize in advance if the story is taking a different route than your imagination. I promise I will not make it melodramatic or a daily soap. Please give me a few chapters! Thank you again for the love on the last chapter!❤❤

The chapter is not edited

"Knock Knock! Is this the birthday girl's cabin?"

Soumya rolled her eyes at Kusum, who was standing in the doorway of the cabin with Shweta in her arms. "I think you're in the wrong place."

Kusum scowled as she walked into the room. "No one is allowed to be such a spoilt sport on their birthday."

She sighed. "You know how I feel about birthdays. I am not a child anymore to get excited over blowing out candles and receiving birthday presents."

"You can say that when you are 50." Kusum huffed as she bounced Shweta in her arms. "Actually not even then. You're never allowed to not be excited about one day that's all about you."

"Fine!" Soumya raised her hands in defeat. She was tired of trying to explain her point of view every single birthday anyway. This birthday, she had just accepted the fact that they lived in a capitalist society that would cash on every single emotion. It wasn't that she didn't like the idea of celebrating birthdays, but she didn't like making a huge deal out of it.

"Come on, give your Maasi a birthday kiss," Kusum instructed Shweta who crawled into Soumya's awaiting arms. The little girl's version of a kiss was blowing a raspberry on one's cheek.

"Happy birthday, Soumya," Kusum said as she gave her a tight side hug. "I love you so much," she added a kiss on her cheek.

"Thank you!" Soumya smiled and hugged Kusum back with one arm.

"Here you go," Kusum held out a bag and Soumya instantly began shaking her head in protest, but Kusum wasn't having it. "You can't say no on your freaking birthday."

"No wonder Shweta's first word was fuck." Soumya rolled her eyes and placed the present on the table.

Kusum grinned and shrugged. "What can I say? I am raising a very woke daughter."

Soumya laughed and sat down on her chair with Shweta on her lap while Kusum settled into the visitor's chair.

"Not a very profitable birthday I see," Kusum commented, waving around the empty cabin.

Soumya leaned over to pick up the brain-shaped softball and gave it  Shweta to play. "I just had eleven patients the entire day."

"Then what are you doing here? Let's go home." Kusum said, flailing her arms.

"Why? Are the surprise party preparations over?" Soumya asked, raising her eyebrows in amusement. "I figured I would give you all some more time to get everything ready."

Kusum's face turned red. "W-what surprise party?" she spluttered. "There's no surprise party. Why would we?"

"Everyone thinks that Soumya Maasi is stupid." Soumya cooed to Shweta and fixed the little girl's hairclip. "Do you really expect me to believe that everyone at home forgot that it's my birthday?"

Kusum sighed. "Akash and I told Dhara that it would look suspicious, but your sister simply has a mind of her own."

"Don't worry I'll act surprised. I have been practicing in all my free time today. Do you want to see it?" she said, standing up. When Kusum just frowned, Soumya gasped and covered her mouth in her attempt at an impression of the pageant winner reaction.