Chapter 3

Rudra placed the carton of juice down after pouring it into his glass

Rudra placed the carton of juice down after pouring it into his glass. "What is going on?" He asked his grandparents and mother kept giving each other surreptitious glances.

"Nothing," His grandfather, Purshottam Rawat, immediately said, which earned him a jab in the stomach from his wife, Tanuja Rawat.

Rudra shook his head at them because he knew what this was going to be about. "I am all for routine, but this is really getting out of hand. You send me pictures of 'potential brides,' I open the email and immediately delete it. Then you ask me about them, so I say I am not interested in getting married, and then we repeat the cycle again." 

"Then why don't you change something in the routine?" Tanuja questioned. "Rudra, you are already 29. This is the right age to get married."

"The right age to get married is when you are mentally ready, and I am not ready for it," Rudra said, picking up the newspaper and flicking it open. In some ways, Rudra Rawat was still old fashioned.

"Okay, if you don't want to get married right now, it's fine." His mother, Shipra Rawat, said and placed her hand on Rudra's shoulder. "Then at least date someone. Go out. Meet people. Isn't Sakshi back in India? And she has even started working at We Care, so maybe-"

Rudra's scowl grew deeper at the mention of his ex-girlfriend. "Mom, Please. Sakshi and I are a thing of the past. Currently, she is an employee, and that's all there is to it."

The trio sighed, but tomorrow was a new day for them—a new opportunity to try.

"Good morning!" Akash greeted with a wide grin as he jogged down the stairs. "Dadi, Dadu, Mom." He nodded and sat down on the chair beside his grandmother.

"Rudra is here too," His mother said and gave a pointed look to Akash.

"Mom!" Both Rudra and Akash sighed at their mother's attempts of treating them like children who she could force to get along.

"How was the race?" His grandfather asked with childlike enthusiasm. "Did you win?"

"Of course, I did!" Akash winked and passed his grandfather a smug grin.

"I don't understand why you have to risk your life like this, Akash?" Shipra shook her head and raised her hands in defeat.

"Maa, it's for the thrill. The excitement and feeling of being alive." 

"You are done all your packing?" Tanuja asked. Although she never understood Akash's bohemian lifestyle, she supported it because it seemed to make him happy.

Akash smiled and hugged his grandmother from the side. "I'll do it soon." 

"The flight won't wait for you and your laid back attitude," Rudra commented but didn't look up from the newspaper he was reading.

"Thank you!" Akash said with a faux smile. "But why don't you keep your concern limited to yourself and your business?"

"Akash! Rudra!" Shipra admonished. "Why can't we have one meal where there is peace at the table or this house?" She began getting up, but Rudra held her hand and forced her back on the chair.