Chapter 51

Author's Note: Here is the new chapter and I hope you guys like it!❤

The chapter is unedited

Akash looked around the sangeet venue trying to find Dhara once again. Clearly, Preetika's family did not believe in minimalism. The Bollywood theme for the sangeet night is reflected in every nook of the venue. From the huge cut-outs of popular Bollywood characters to the blaring music to the cups with famous dialogues, the family had gone all out. He would have been a little more impressed with the arrangement hadn't he been preoccupied with trying to find Dhara.

He sighed when he saw another woman giving him a dirty look for staring at them. How was supposed to tell her that he was looking for his ‘girlfriend’ when he had no idea of what she was even wearing tonight. The decision to leave the house before her seemed stupid in that moment.

“Sorry,” an employee, carrying the cut out of Shahrukh Khan from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, said to him.

Akash moved to stand in a corner while trying her phone once again. And once again, she didn't answer his call. He wondered how much trouble he would get into trouble with Dhara if he just left.

“Beta,” an older lady came up to him and clasped his arm. “Can you walk me to the tables there?”

“Sure,” Akash smiled at the lady and gingerly began walking her to the table.

“Thank you, beta. What's your name?” the woman asked when Akash helped her settle into a chair. “Are you from the boy's side or the girl's?”

“Uhh...” He laughed and looked around. “My name is Akash and I am actually here with my girlfriend. She is the bride's friend.”

“Oh! I see.” the woman's face fell.

“Is there anything else I can help you with?”

“No! No! You have already helped me a lot. You go and have fun.” She waved him off.

He smiled and moved away from her when he almost walked right into Dhara who was standing behind him.

“There you are!” he said immediately. “I was calling you but-”

“I know. My phone was in my purse and I left the purse in the room upstairs. Sorry,” she apologized even before he finished his statement.

He wanted to be more upset at her, but the apology seemed so sincere that he couldn't hold on to his anger any longer. “It's fine.”

“Is this your girlfriend?” the woman who had helped said pointing at Dhara.

“Yes,” Akash nodded and then both of them gave the old woman a practiced smile. “This is Dhara,” he introduced.

“Dhara and Akash.”  The lady nodded in approval. “You are very beautiful,” she said to Dhara and then turned his attention to him. “Don't let her go.”

Akash laughed to hide his awkwardness and looked at Dhara for guidance. Luckily, Dhara was much better at this than him.

Dhara smiled at the woman before wrapping her hand around his arm. “Thank you so much. We need to get going. We are performing tonight and need to do some last-minute rehearsal.”

“Wow!” He laughed as they were walking to where ever Dhara was leading them. “If lying was a sport, you'd win hands down.”

Dhara rolled her eyes and let go of his arm. “Whatever,” she said, pretending to fix her hair.

“What?” he asked when she looked at him expectantly.

Dhara huffed and stomped her foot. “For future reference when you do have a real girlfriend, you should compliment her when she looks good.”