Chapter Three

Astrid was awoken when she was dragged out of the booth that she was sitting in. Her eyes flew open and she realized she was still at Coco's. She looked around and saw Naomi, fuming, and standing over her.

"There you are. I have been looking for you everywhere for the past two hours." She said through gritted teeth. She tightened her grip on Astrid's wrist and she stood up. Cassie shot Astrid a worried look from behind the counter and Astrid shook her head slightly. "Come on, we're going home now." Naomi said sternly, practically dragging Astrid out of the coffee shop.

They both got into the car and Astrid faced the window. The rain slowed a little and was lightly tapping the window shield.

The car ride was slow and silent, but not in a comfortable way, in a very awkward silence. Astrid shifted uncomfortably in her seat and fiddled with her hands. She didn't want to think about how much she was going to get yelled at when she got home. The car came to a stop outside the house in the drive way.

Naomi got out of the car and Astrid followed suit. They walked up to the door and went inside. Luke and their foster sister Maddison, were sitting on the stairs waiting.

Naomi shut the door and locked it. Luke and Maddison stood up and started walking towards us but stopped when Naomi glared at them.

"Maddison, Luke, go upstairs." she said sternly.

"But-"

"Go!" She snapped and the ran upstairs, Luke shot her an apologetic look before following Maddison, Astrid just wished Luke would stand up for himself or for her instead of listening. Naomi turned to her and glared at her.

"You were supposed to be home three hours ago! What the hell were you thinking?" She said raising her voice slightly.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep." Astrid said quietly looking down at her beat up converse. She hated being yelled at.

"Oh, you're sorry...well I'm sorry too, you want to know what for?" Naomi said with an obvious fake smile. Astrid raised an eyebrow. "I'm sorry for adopting you because you're nothing but a worthless child." She said. Tears stung at the back of Astrid's eyes. Naomi's words stung.

"I didn't do anything wrong, why are you treating me like this?" Astrid said quietly, her voice cracking.

"You think you didn't do anything wrong? That's cute. Everything you do is wrong. You are worthless, nothing, and pathetic. It's no wonder your birth mother abandoned you." Naomi said. Her harsh words were breaking Astrid and she snapped.

"Shut up! Don't you dare talk about my mother that way! She had good reasons to give me and my brother up and I'm not just going to listen to your insults and abu-" she started angrily but was cut off when she felt the stinging pain of Naomi's hand as she struck her in the face.

Astrid held her cheek and let several tears fall down her face. Naomi was fuming and she grabbed her by her arms and pulled her upstairs. She opened Astrid's bedroom door and pushed her inside.

"You want to know what abuse is? You're about to find out." Naomi said through gritted teeth. She slammed the door and Astrid heard her lock the door from the outside.

"Let me out!" She screamed hitting the door and tugged at the door knob. She hit the door with the palms of her hands. This wasn't fair. She did nothing wrong.

She sank down with her back against the door and began sobbing, her knees tucked into her chest. She hated it here. There was nothing she could do about this, she was stuck. She was done, so done. She traced her scars under her sleeves that went up her wrists and covered her thighs and hips, no one knew about them except Lauren and herself, she kept them well hidden.

She felt someone put their hand on her shoulder and she froze. There wasn't anyone in here a moment ago that she noticed and the door was locked. She slowly looked up and there, standing over her, was a boy with dark hair and green eyes.

She screamed and he quickly put his hand over her mouth.

"Shh, it's okay I'm not here to hurt you I promise." He said in a surprisingly soothing voice. She quit screaming but he kept his hand over her mouth, fear overcoming her body. "I'm going to move my hand, okay. I'll explain after that." He said and she nodded slowly. He removed his hand and she stared at him, the fear evident in her eyes.

"H-how did you get in here?" She asked and he bit his lip.

"Well, I'm not entirely sure how to explain it." he said.

"So you just broke in." she said it more like a statement rather than a question.

"No, no that's not what I did. I wouldn't break in." he told her.

"Then how did you get in? Do you think I'm really that stupid?" she said rather harshly and he sighed.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." He said.

"Try me." She said.

"I...I'm an angel." he said and she looked at him in disbelief.

"You're right, I don't believe you," she said almost bitterly, backing away from him, getting as much distance as possible between them. 

"It's true. I really am. I was sent here as your guardian angel." He said and she looked at him skeptically.

"If you're a guardian angel, where's your wings?" She said and he sighed.

"I don't have wings." He said.

"Then what makes you think that I'm going to believe that you're actually an angel? That's ridiculous." She said raising an eyebrow.

"But I am, you have to believe me." he said in a pleading tone.

"If you're really my guardian angel, prove it." She said.

"You're name is Astrid Leigh-Anne Hemmings. You and your brother Luke were given up by your parents when you were little. You and your brother both have been abandoned your whole life and now you're staying with a woman named Naomi who is abusive towards you, and you can't help but feel hurt that your brother doesn't stand up for you, because every time you stand up for yourself, you get hurt. You're depressed, but no one knows it because you hide it so well, well besides your best friend of course, but you won't even tell your own brother. Is that enough proof for you?" He asked never once breaking eye contact.

She stared at him shocked and nodded. "How did you know those things? I've never told anyone about the abuse, not even my best friend." she said quietly. "Are you some stalker or something?" she said and he restrained himself from rolling his eyes and face palming,

"No, like I said. I'm your guardian angel. I'm here to help." he said.

"You, you really are an angel?" She asked and he nodded.

"Yes, but I'm your angel." he said and she smiled slightly. This may actually be a good thing.

A/N: So guys, I finally got chapter 3 done YAY! Any who please vote and comment or check out my other stories. Thanks

-Xx E.J