Chapter Twenty-Three

Astrid sat in Dr. Marx's office staring at the tattoo that had her name and her birthday.

"Why?" Was the first thing she was able to say. "Why, if you knew who I was, why wait until now to tell me? Better yet, why did you give me up? Did you just not want me?" She asked, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"Of course I wanted you, it's just-it's complicated." He said with a sigh.

"Complicated. Right. Okay then." She said with a slight hint of hurt in her tone.

"It's just a long story." He said and she looked at him with her eyes narrowed.

"I have time." She said and he sighed.

"I wanted to reach out to you, I did, but I was afraid that you'd hate me for leaving but keep in mind I was very young when you were born. I was seventeen when your mother had you, Luke was one, but his father ran out before he was born. He's not my son, but when your mother and I were together I treated him like he was. We were going to get married, we were engaged, but she had you before that happened I proposed after you arrived. Then several months after she was diagnosed with cancer and she didn't know how long she had and I panicked and left. I didn't think I could be a father of two at seventeen, I hadn't even graduated yet, and that's when she gave you and your brother up for adoption. I was scared, and it haunts me to this day. I shouldn't have ran, and I shouldn't have let you and Luke go." He said as she listened intently.

"If you were still in high school, why did you even think to have a child? Let alone take on another that wasn't yours?" She asked.

"I don't know what I was thinking. I was young and stupid. And even though Luke wasn't mine I cared about both of you, you have to realize that. Your mother told me that she didn't think she had very long to live, I didn't think I could provide both of you with a stable home, so I didn't stay."

"But my mother did live. She lived until I was fifteen. I contacted her before and I met her. She gave me this and apologized over and over saying she was only trying to give us our best chance." She said unclasping the chain that held the ring around her neck and holding it out where he could see it and he frowned.

"That's the engagement ring. I didn't know she kept it, and she thought it was giving the two of you your best chance, as did I, but I know now that that isn't the case." He said.

"How did you know it was me?" She asked after a few seconds of silence.

"I saw the last name, it was your mother's last name and I just knew." He said.

"And why did you wait to tell me?" She asked.

"Because I didn't know how you would react if a stranger told you that they were your biological parent."

"You're right, that would be a bit weird." She replied and they sat there awkwardly for several minutes before Dr. Marx replied again.

"I really hope that you don't hate me for what I did. I constantly regret leaving every single day." He said.

"I get it. You didn't think that you could provide so you thought we'd be better off with another family who could."

"And from what you've told me, I was wrong and I would like to know if you would like to leave your foster home soon." He said and she looked at him, shocked.

"Of course I want to leave, but where are you suggesting I go?" She said clueless.

"With me. Let me fix my mistake please. You've been through so much that you shouldn't have." He said and she sighed.

"I don't know. Would Luke be able to come with me?" She asked and he nodded.

"Only if it's alright with him though. I'm not going to force either of you to do anything you don't want, however by law I am required to report child abuse so Naomi will be forced to go to court and will have her children taken from her, but it's your choice whether or not you want to stay with me." He said.

This was a lot to take in and she didn't really know what to say.

"Can I think about it? Talk it over with Luke and see what he thinks?" She asked and he nodded.

"Of course. I don't want to force you two into anything you don't want." He said and she nodded, seemingly excited and she stood up.

"Then I better get back and start talking to him then." She said.

"Is Naomi picking you up? I need to speak to her." He asked and she shook her head.

"No I walked actually. She doesn't know I'm here." She replied.

"You walked that far? Let me drive you back. I'll just call her and discuss what I need to later. She shouldn't be home until late right?" He asked and she nodded.

"Yeah she usually gets home late. Sometimes she's early." She said stuffing her hands in her hoodie pockets. They walked out into the waiting room and towards his car, Michael walking silently beside Astrid, his arm around her waist. The drive was quiet, and Astrid was eager to talk to her brother, she practically jumped out of the car when they pulled up to the house.

"Thank you so much for the ride." She said.

"No problem. See you soon" he said before driving away. She smiled at Michael who had been listening the whole time. She started climbing back up to her room, assuming that the front door was locked. She screamed when she saw Luke sitting on her bed, but calmed down.

"Jesus Luke." She said, he just sighed and stood up and hugged his little sister.

"I was worried. I didn't know where you went. Where were you?" He asked. She smiled widely.

"I met my father."

A/N: So here's chapter 23 it gives a little bit of a backstory on everything, but it might be a little confusing. On the top/side is a picture of the ring that Astrid where's around her neck, it's the engagement ring. I hope you enjoyed the chapter and vote and comment.

-Xx E.J