Chapter One

Michael walked up the marble steps that led up to the Angel Council building where they held meetings, where he had a meeting with the council leader Isadora. He walked down the corridor crowded by angels. He felt like an outsider, considering he still doesn't even have his wings like everyone else, that's actually what his meeting was about. He moved through a group of angels crowding the main room and scanned the area looking for Isadora. His eyes landed on a particularly tall woman with long blonde hair who was talking to a shorter girl with a short brown pixie cut. He walked over to them and waited silently for a few moments until the shorter girl noticed him. She bowed to Isadora before running off. Isadora turned around to face Michael and she gave him a warm smile.

"Hello Michael." She said to the younger boy and he gave a quick bow, like all angels were supposed to while talking to the council leader.

"Hi Isadora," He said straightening up. "I scheduled a meeting yesterday for today; I would like to talk to you about something." He said and she nodded.

"Of course, let's go somewhere a bit quieter." She said beckoning him to the much less crowded hallway. They walked in silence towards her office, her heels tapping noisily on the floor. He stopped suddenly and she looked at him. "Is there something bothering you?" she asked and he sighed.

"I've been here for over a year and I still haven't gotten my wings yet, I want to know how to get them." He said and she smiled sadly at the boy.

Not every angel gets their wings right when they die, it all depends on how they died, you know that. You still have to prove yourself." She said and he sighed.

"What do you mean by that?" he asked.

"I don't understand what is it that you don't understand?"

"No, I understand what you mean by proving myself, but how do I do that?" he asked. She stared at him, she felt bad for him. He was one of the only angels who haven't gotten their wings, and he's also so young. Nineteen is a terrible age to die. "Please Isadora; I'm willing to do anything to earn them." He pleaded and she sighed.

"You're willing to do anything?" she asked and he nodded. "Okay then, follow me." She said and he followed quickly behind her to her office. She sat behind her desk and motioned at the chair that was in front of it. "Go ahead and sit." She said and he sat down and she clasped her hands in her lap. "Okay Michael, you said you would do anything to earn your wings, but do you know what the job of an angel is?" she asked him.

"Vaguely, no one really tells me much." He said.

"Okay then, let me sum it up. Basically, when a mortal dies, they are judged, and then when it is determined if they go to heaven or hell they either become angels or demons. Angels are then sent down to earth to help other mortals who have been asking for help." She said.

"But what does that have to do with anything? I can't go to earth without wings; I'll never be able to come back." He said and she shook her head.

"That's not true actually. I can send you down there, and if you succeed then you'll be able to return, and if you fail I can send someone else to get you." She said and he relaxed a bit.

"So what do you want me to do exactly?" he asked and she smiled.

"You are going to go back to earth and help a mortal." She said. "Would you want to do that?"

He thought about it for a few moments. He was never much of a people person when he was alive, but maybe it was worth a try. He desperately wanted his wings so he was going to do whatever it takes.

"I'll do anything if it means I get my wings." He said and she smiled.

"Good, let's see who you'll be helping." She said. She walked over to a large filing cabinet. She ran her fingers over the tops of each folder until she picked one. She laid the folder on the desk and opened it. Inside was a picture of a girl and information about her. The girl had long wavy black hair and grey-blue eyes, and pale skin. She wasn't smiling, in fact she was crying in the picture.

"Her name is Astrid Hemmings. Her parents are unknown; in fact she is an orphan. She is the sister of Luke Hemmings. She lives in Australia, so you should be familiar with the area, and she's been having a lot of problems. Lets see... here we are," she said pointing to a list on the second page of the file. "She depressed because she and her brother have been abandoned by foster homes for years and is abused by her current foster mother. She's very lonely and doesn't talk much to anyone except a couple of people. She's bullied sometimes and she doesn't think she deserves to live. Well looks like you might have a lot of work. Are you sure that you're up for this?" she asked and he nodded.

"I'm sure. When do I leave?" he asked and she smiled.

"Right now." She said and literally with the snap of her fingers, he was sitting on an unfamiliar bed in a different room.

"Well here goes nothing." He said as he waited for Astrid.

 Hey guys! This is my new fanfiction Wingless. I hope you enjoyed it and if anything was confusing or spelling error or you even have some suggestions feel free to comment anything and don't forget to vote either. I like it when y'all vote because I know you're enjoying the book. I hope you enjoyed my lovlies.

-Xx E.J